Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Will Happen Next Generation?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What Will Happen Next Generation?

I'm curious what "tight-ass" Vauxhall will do come the next marque of Astra. As everyone is aware, Vauxhall are relunctant to do some things we really require in a car ... like decent brakes, trimming the rear seats to match the front, no LSD etc

Now,

Astra mk3 GSI - 156bhp - FWD
    Astra mk4 GSI - 197bhp - FWD
    Astra mk5 VXR - 236bhp - FWD

To follow trend - Astra mk6 - 275bhp - .... FWD?

I find it hard to believe that you can have a driveable "Production" car with 275bhp when its FWD... so will Vauxhall move to 4wd (ala Cav/Calibra) or RWD? ... or do you think they'll be tight and stay with FWD?
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Will there be a new astra? With the threat of Ellsmeer (sp) port job losses etc.

Personally I cant see them trying to squeeze much more power out of a 4WD car.
    DELETED BY ADMIN -MATG

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The majority of Ellsmere port production goes for export, so not an issue there.

The car really needs 4wd IMO to be a really useable road car with more power, but then I guess a lot will depend on what the competition will do. I.e. the GTi (ok theres the R32 but thats not really a car within the same price bracket), Focus RS, Megane 225. Plus I would imagine a lot will come into the production costs, i.e. buying in a 4wd system and making the car at a price that will still sell. There were obviously the spyshots of the Astra with 4x4 but then I would have thought the Vectra VXR would have had it first if anything as I beleive the Vectra C chassis was designed to be able to take a 4x4 setup on it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well my car has over 275 bhp and is perfectly driveable as a fwd car

Funnily enough though, modified Calibra 4x4's were mostly changed back to 2wd - what was the reason for this?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crap vaux 4x4 system. transfer boxes couldn't handle the extra power.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy
    Well my car has over 275 bhp and is perfectly driveable as a fwd car

Funnily enough though, modified Calibra 4x4's were mostly changed back to 2wd - what was the reason for this?
    True Scott, but "you" did that to your car, so you kinda knew what to expect etc. I mean if Vaux want to sell X amount of the next gen hot hatch Astra they need to cater for their needs ... people might think 275bhp thru the front wheels is a handful etc.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    4WD is the way to go for me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Most Calibra/Cavalier 4x4's are now running 2wd, due too poor maintenance more than anything else.

And yeah Im sure people are running 275bhp in front wheel drive cars, but does it handle that power as well as a 4x4 car would....I doubt it. You also need to look at the fact Vauxhall have to build and market cars to a large and diverse cross section of people. Whilst there is a large tuning section of people that would want a lairy fwd car, they also need to make a car that caters for people that want a car thats refined and handles the power in a way they can cope with.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey
    And yeah Im sure people are running 275bhp in front wheel drive cars, but does it handle that power as well as a 4x4 car would....I doubt it. You also need to look at the fact Vauxhall have to build and market cars to a large and diverse cross section of people. Whilst there is a large tuning section of people that would want a lairy fwd car, they also need to make a car that caters for people that want a car thats refined and handles the power in a way they can cope with.

Thats what I tried to say, but you worded it better

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't forget developments in suspension and tyre technology has allowed 240 ish bhp thru the front wheels these days, a few years ago that would have been nigh on impossible to handle, so if the technology carries on then why not 270+ thru the front wheels? There will be a limit though I have to agree.

But by the time that is a problem there'll be no more petrol left and we'll be driving electric cars anyway!
    Astra 1.9CDTi SRI (150) Sport Hatch
    A few mods happening soon...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast