Thread: Finally after 10 months the Brembos are fitted

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Finally after 10 months the Brembos are fitted

It's finally happened, after a long time and much problems they are finally on and working. They clear the new Mk5 18" wheels by loads, the lack of a disc retaining screw is a bit of a problem as the disc tries to fall off whilst your trying to mount the wheel. Also the holes in the disc bell are slightly larger than the wheel bolts and that means the disc can move a little, won't do when tightened of course but it does mean locating 4 bolts then turning the disc until the disc lines up perfectly.
    Performance is too early to say yet, just took it for a spin and they feel ok, little too much travel as they haven't bedded in yet, disc is showing a full contact pattern though but it will take a week or so for the pads to be fully functional I think. Only about 1/2 to 1" of pedal travel though and it's certainly firmer in feel.
    Better post some pics or everyone will just ask for them anyway
    Excuse wheel, I was handling it a lot and it shows

Close up

52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bloody hell they look good!

It'll be interesting to see what there like over standard, they need 500miles or so to bed in dont they?
    Sold my Astra to buy a house.

Now drive a 205 GTI 2.0 16v

Cheap and Chearfull!

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Relieved for you Ken

Let `em bed in for around 500 miles, then stand on `em, I did mine and they stopped me almost instantly.

They`re not as big as mine are they ?
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No Pete 10mm smaller than yours. Around 500 miles should do it I reckon. Certainly feel better than the OE calipers even though those were already fitted with Goodridge braided lines.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What size are they? Can you easily get all the fitting bits for the Astra then?
    Sold my Astra to buy a house.

Now drive a 205 GTI 2.0 16v

Cheap and Chearfull!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they look great ken glad you finally found some wheels to hide them behind
    the finish on them wheels is great im takeing mine in next week think i might go shadow chrome ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Those are 325mm discs. I had them made by a company called Godspeed but it wasn't plain sailing by any means, don't want to rake up old history and risk antagonising people but I can say a few things about the kit.

Firstly, the workmanship is first class, never had a problem with that.
    Secondly, he says they will need 17" wheels and that's not quite corect. 18s are best I reckon, only found 1 17" wheel that would clear and that was a deleted model. No Vx 17" wheel has cleared yet and I've tried 3 types, the SE2 rims, the Turbo Coupe ones and the 17" Mk5 alloys. None of those clear the caliper.
    Thirdly, the kit should fit without any problems now so long as Ian makes it the same as mine and provides 10.9 tensile strength carrier bolts in future.

If all that is followed then they fit without any other problems. Should also add you'll need new 32mm wheel bolts, 8 of them for a 5 stud and a set of McGard 33.5mm locking wheel bolts. I do have 4 spare 10.9 carrier bolts if Ian can't source them.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza1591
    they look great ken glad you finally found some wheels to hide them behind
    the finish on them wheels is great im takeing mine in next week think i might go shadow chrome ?
    I do love the way the wheels look, had no idea how they would look before I went for that finish and it's turned out great. I'd definetely recommend it.

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Top job mate, the wheels look really good

Here`s a pic of mine,335mm discs, soon to be replaced with 6 pot Wilwoods and 355mm discs.

My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How'd you get round the handbrake mechanism on the rear calipers Pete? thinking of converting the backs now but can't figure out how to get past that problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast