Thread: Lowering on 16s

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lowering on 16s

The coupe went in for the MOT... it passed but the mechanic did notice that my rear springs had cracks in them at the bottom.... Then a light bulb went off in my head - Its the perfect excuse to lower the coupe!

However, the coupe is pretty much standard.... on 16s. Has any one lowered the coupe on standard 16" coupe wheels? (Also, pics would be nice.) I do want to get some OEM 17" rims but I cant afford it right now.

Ive got mud flaps on the coupe and I do have issues with them on the standard wheels.... so no doubt I will have more problems when I lower it.... i will have to either remove them or cut them like mike warner has.

I know there is a supply problem with ebachi springs... does that apply to all astras?

Thanks in adance.

Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When you say problem, what do you mean? Like rubbing the arches / scraping on s peed bumps etc?

If you go 50/30 drop then they should be okay, the same i imagine as on 17s as the tyre radius stays more aless the same.
    DELETED BY ADMIN -MATG

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stick with a 30mm drop imo to keep things nice and suttle.

My car did this and to have rear springs fitted it was somewhere in the reigon of Ł230, but the original knew about this so he paid half.

Lower the car, i wish i did in a way.

And the 16 rolling radius will be very similar to the 17 so it wont make much if a difference atall
    Gav Coup'e se2

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skót
    When you say problem, what do you mean? Like rubbing the arches / scraping on s peed bumps etc?
    Yeah, although the coupe mudflaps look good and they are very purposeful (keep a lot of crap off the car), I've had nothing but problems with the front one.... they scrape on speed bumps and on two occasions the front ones ripped off (they are only held on with clips and also a screw at the bottom).

You can just about see from this pic that they are quite close to the ground:

I think I will have to trim about 35mm off of them.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, the good old "sport flaps".

I took my front flaps off, as they'd pretty much worn into a triangle. I'm running standard suspension, albeit with knackered tie arms, and have too much of a liking for vigerous cornering.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I've got may hatch running on its original SRi 16's at the moment I had a slight lack of tred on the inner edge of my Vec C rims. (dropped on -50/30 eibachs I believe.

It lokks a little strange but the you get used to the look of it.... 17's are definately much better looking in the MK4 arches, but I am enjoyign to comfort of the 16's again so may only fit the 17's for shows etc....

No prics at the moment as it manky anyway...
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here