Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MK4 1.6 16V Gearbox Problem! only 36k miles!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MK4 1.6 16V Gearbox Problem! only 36k miles!!

hi all

recently bought a 2002 1.6 16v astra from a mate, full service history 36,000 miles on the clock and after going through 3 gearboxes on my mk3 astra i thought i was going to have finally rid myself of gearbox problems.

i thought wrong!

last friday i noticed a strange rubbing noise coming from the passenger side wheel when driving, took it to my mechanic today, who put it up on ramps and took the oil level plug out of the gearbox to find the oil to be full of metal fillings!! now i dont know about you but i dont expect this from a 4 year old car with 36k on the clock with full service history!!

my mechanic suggested phoning vaux and explaining the situation. dont know what thye'll say though as the car isnt under warranty now!

what you guys reckon, anyone had a similair problems with gearboxs? i swear i got sum kinda gearbox curse following me round!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well took it to vaux yesterday, and they confirmed that the "transimission is U/S" ...quote to do the work......wait for it......

£2768.10!!!

cant believe this, the car has done 36k and been very well looked after and is absolutely immaculate!

waiting for vaux customer care to get back to me now, but im not too hopeful they will offer me much.

looks like im back to rummiging round scrappys

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    See the left hand pedal? It's called "the clutch". You press it down before using the big lever in the middle of the car "the gearstick". It helps the gearbox not die.

You'll get a reconditioned 'box for a few hundred quid, and any independant garage can swap the box in an hour or so if they have any clue.

Vauxhall gearboxes are pretty good, they're all Getrag boxes, which BMW uses as well.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the fact you have gone through 3 gearboxes on your mk3 now having the same problem with your mk4 i would have a guess that its your driving style take note to what ZS is saying
    Balck Astra K Elite 1.4 Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    clutch...hmm...wondered what that was for lol. yeh but c'mon this car has been treated so well, itas done 36k and the gearbox is shafted.

i had a mk3 before, and used to slam it into second hard everytime, second gear would last bout 3 months n then the gear would be stripped of all its teeth. must have put 4 boxes on that one, but ive really looked after this mk4 and havent driven it hard at all. it shouldnt have developed a box fault after 36k!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    point taken, but to be fair i used to drive that mk3 HARD, the mk4 has been kept mint, ive spent all my savings on it so its not as if ive been abusing it!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The point is, gearbox issues are pretty much unheard of on the Mk4. Only the guys running big horsepower through the F23 tend to trash boxes on very rare occasions.

The F16 is a pretty good little box, and even given dog's abuse tends to last until 100k without major issue. If yours only lasted to 36k then you really do need to address your driving style.

How long do your front tyres last, out of curiousity?
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mate im not being funny but i havent driven that car hard in the slightest!! its an absolute pleasure to drive and i wouldnt want to wreck it! (even thoguh its now wrecked itself) the mk3 was hanging anyway so i used to trash that for fun, lol!

the strange thing about this box problem is it doesnt seem to affect the drive of the car at all, all gears can be selectedf, no grinding, no loss of power, nothing, just this continuous rubbing noise!

front tyres were new bout 6k ago, still got plenty of tread on them

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    I've got a 1.6 16v 2003 model. I've done 45'000 and I have no strange noiseys the clutch is fine. No problems apart from my EGR vavle going every 10 seconds. I drive fast very fast and hard.

This points to either the driver not using the clutch correctly or something wrong with the box. But if it were the latter I'd expect to die before then!!! As has been said the F16 is a very good box. I'd call it unlucky. Try autovaux.com or .co.uk I believe they are vauxhall brakers and may be able to help. Vauxhall do offer recon boxes with a trade in off yours. Ask them about a recon box (just supply) then ask an indipendant garage how much to fit a box?

Did vauxhall give you a list of what is in need of replacement. I feel that the word transmission is a bit broad. I'd want a part by part break down. Personally I'd get a second opinion if its driving perfectly albeit but the noise then I'd get a second opinion. Don't tell them what you think it is or what Vauxhall have said just tell him/her theres a noise.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well ive been quoted 165 for a box from the scrappys with a 3month warranty, id fit it myself as i used to on the mk3, but dont fancy it on such a new car so will probably get a mate who has his own garage to do the swap.

i dont think it is a case of poor clutch usage, just that the box has developed a fault. i just cannot get over the fact that it has packed in after just 36k! the problem started last friday, i drove to work on the motorway, no problems, drove home, no problems, left the house to go out in the evening and i could hear a noise from the wheel as if something was caught in the tyre, turns out to be the gearbox! so as you can imagine, im far from impressed!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast