Thread: Clutch fitting recommendations please

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Clutch fitting recommendations please

Does anyone no a good place to get a clutch fitted? Ive been told by a friend of mine at vauxhalls that you have to be very carefull when the subframe is removed as if its not put back in exactly the same place it well never track straight again thats why they use a special machine or something?! Only prob is the cost as even with a discount im looking at a £450 bill just for fitting
    Any recommendations welcome
    MK4 888 # 10

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry I can't be of any help but the alignment thing is true about the subframe, but I found out the hard way. It does seem to drive straight, but the steering wheel has to be at about 1 o'clock

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As far as I know, all that needs to be done is the gearbox dropped and the clutch in and out, gear box back uo and thats it, no need to touch the sub frame!

Had my gear box and clutch replaced last month and sub frame wasnt touched.
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    all down to the gear box
    its easy to take the sub frame out an put it back in no probs at all

Status
    Pipsqueak
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On astra G's you have to drop the sub frame i am cirtain, the end of the gearbox floats above the left of the subframe. Never had to use a machine to put one back into place.
    I dont own a vauxhall, i own another vw

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt-man
    On astra G's you have to drop the sub frame i am cirtain, the end of the gearbox floats above the left of the subframe. Never had to use a machine to put one back into place.
    I would agree that you have to drop the subframe off completely to change a clutch and flywheel like I did. Otherwise the gearbox (big F23) would only move about an inch away from the block so there'd be no room to work in there.

I think there must be some tolerance in the mounting holes on the subframe i.e. bolts are slightly smaller than the holes, so I'm gonna loosen it off again and give it a jiggle, see if I can move it. I rekon it'll move prob just a few mm either way but it's enough to make a difference to the steering. I've ordered a technical manual (TIS) CD of ebay for £4.50 so maybe this will help.

888ste can you ask the Vauxhall guy who told you about this for some more info? Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wasnt advised that the sub-frame would be removed first of all for better access!! But oh well its all in and working again, and learnt something new, so I take back my original comments!!!

888Ste, Is the £450 for just the clutch to be fitted?? If so thats is a complete rip off!
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    its not a bad price if the clutch is in with that
    go for a up rated one

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well when i was looking for a new clutch it was just over £100 for an uprated sports clutch, but as mine is only a 1.8 N/A it was only about £65 for a decent quality standard fit one

But if it is uprated and sports or whatever, then £100 -£200 for the clutch....I still find £450 for clutch AND fitting steep, unless the clutch is made of gold!!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, subframe need to be removed (as Mat says) but its not exactly a technical job. You're lucky, try swapping a clutch on a VXT......12 hours labour!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast