Thread: Parcel Shelf

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Parcel Shelf

I've been looking at an accoustic parcel shelf my astra but as they cost slightly more than I'm willing to pay, is there anyway I can modify my current standard parcel shelf so that I could hide a set of 6x9s in it?

Thanks!
    Crazy little Scottish lass!

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The weight of 6x9's wll make your standard parcel shelf fold like a bit of soggy cardboard!!!

If you don't want to fork out for an acoustic one, why not hack your chassis a bit, and fit them in the rear 3/4 panels?? (assuming you have a 3 door).

If not, then custom make some shaped enclosures to go on each side of the boot (1 for each speaker) then you can still use your boot, and don't need to bother with a 10 stone rear parcel shelf.
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can obviously brace your rear shelf to stop it sagging, so it's not mandatory to buy an acoustic shelf

won't sound quite as good as in a nice solid stealth shelf, but then they are 6x9's in a parcel shelf anyway at the end of the day - if sound quality was your over-riding concern you wouldn't be fitting them!
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont you have two speakers in the rear already? Save you're money and go for a nice sub and some decent tweeters?
    DELETED BY ADMIN -MATG

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd just fit em to ur existing shelf and manufacture some supports to brace the shelf with.... just dont to the chav thing and cut the holes and drop the speakers in from the top! cut a hole smaller than the size of the speakers and mount from underneath, then get some acoustic carpet and cover the thing - believe it or not it can look and sound good.... Yeah as said above if pure sound quality was ur objective then maybe this wouldnt be the ideal setup but at the end of the day for most ppl this would be perfectly acceptable.... Will be doing this myself in next few weeks or so (if i have time!)

Edit: Come to think of it - as u have a 3dr it is fairly str8 forward (ish) to fit 6x9s into the rear 1/4 panel so maybe worth considering also.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    make your own parcel shelf !!

tools - jigsaw, drill, screwdrivers, pencil

materials - 18mm mdf, 2x bolts (the kind you use to bolt a door closed), 1.2m of dog lead chain, 1 roll of acoustic cloth

how - put your origional parcel shelf ontop of the mdf and draw round it. cut out the mdf. make a note of where the hinges are on the origional parcel shelf, and screw the bolts onto the mdf where the hinges should be. mark out where the 'hangers' are that hold the shelf to the boot lid and lift the shelf when the boot goes up. drill out a hole for each side big enough to fit the dog lead through. use a self tapping screw on the underside to fix the chain to the shelf, and cut the chain to the correct length. take the templates that came with the 6x9's and mark out the holes, and cut these out. lastly strip everything off the mdf and trim it using the acoustic cloth. once thats fitted re-fit bolts / chains / speakers and slide your new shelf into your car, job jobbed

cost = Ł40 MAX

time = 2 hours if your slow, i do them in about 40 mins
    MSN - dogsymark@aol.co.uk

I'm insane ....... but because i know i'm insane i cant be insane ....... but i am insane .........