Thread: wheel bolts and threads

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wheel bolts and threads

i have managed to cross thread a few bolts on the back of my car, the majority tighten up ok no problems, and torque up good but 1 just spins round, is there anything i can do to fix this, mabe extra long bolts as im sure there is pleanty of thread still in the hub not being used, failing that im sure its going to be a new hub and if it comes to that im sure its going to be expensive!!! so if anyone knows where i can get cheep ones from let me know cheers

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you might be able to re-tap the thread with a tap and die kit (M12x1.5mm). But I woulda thought it's a hub replacement job.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    where can i get one of them kits from? is there not a longer bolt made by anyone then? cheers

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Changes are that if you've cross threaded it, then the thread is bollocksed, so even if you can clean it up with a tap, it won't be as strong as an intact thread

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also if you go with a longer bolt, there is a chance it may catch on something at the rear of the hub.

How did you manage to cross thread a bolt out of interest? Did you definitely use the correct pitch thread?
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i crossed it last year when i had my old aloys on it some 17s which were multi fitment with loads of holes and one was poor manufacture the holes were slightly out of place, and i put it in and it was a lil bit tight but thought nothing of it, when i took it out the thread on the bolt was screwed, so i got new bolts for that wheel and only 1 didnt tighten up, but i got 19s now which are proper fit and look the dogs just missing a bolt!