Thread: Cost of stem valve seals??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cost of stem valve seals??

Some of you may have seen my other thread about my 2.2 burning oil.

Thanks to a couple of members it's looking like it is the stem valve seals that may be on the way out, or the actaul valve stem guides themselves that are pittered.

I am been told two different stories by dealerships.

Now neither of them can give me a price for the job but both of them say it will be big bucks.

Can anyone give me a rough price at what i will be looking at?

Is there any other reason why my 2.2 is smoking after been sat for 3 - 4hrs just on startup. It's 2003 Hatch with 52K on the clock and has full service history.

Think it's time to swap my car quick and get a car with the type R badge on the back.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does sound like the valve stem seals.

Dont know whether this counts but i had these go on my MR2 and for them to be replaced they had to drop the engine from the bottom and it was a 11 hour job quoted at £500 - £600 with the parts included. As the head gasket will need to be replaced as well and the head skimmed i had to get a head gasket set which includes all the gaskets needed plus the seals which came to £121.
    I'm pretty sure the price would be at least half the quote price for an astra. Or should be.....But i am only going on comparison from the MR2.

But having saying that i did them myself on my old Xr2 i once owned for just under £20 (for the head gasket set). But took me a weekend to do and that was only an 8 valve.

If you can do it yourself i would have thought it would cost you under £100 for a guess.
    Astra 1.8i Bertone
    www.drdray.co.uk

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go to a good tuning garrage where there is real machanics that know what they are doing... I know a great one in kent with a A* rolling road that charges 35 an hour.....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys!

It's now booked in for sat morning and i am leaving it with them! I just hope network Q pulls through for me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Get someone to follow you and accelerate and let off and coast, preferably down a hill. If it smokes blue out of the exhaust, that that will be valve stem seals.

If you accelerate and blue smoke comes out the exhaust then that will be piston rings.

The valve stem seals are only about a £1 each, it is the labour involved in changing them as you need to take the head off. Not sure what the 2.2 is like, but a 1.8 16v ecotec engine me and my dad can have the head off in 1hr 30mins.
    Now drives : 2002 Astra SRi Turbo in Black
    PREVIOUS ASTRA'S : 1990 GTE 2.0 8v | 1993 1.4 GLS | 1994 1.6 Cesaro | 1995 1.8 16v Sport