Thread: Car tax renewal question

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Car tax renewal question

Right, ive heard form various places that you have a certain number of days after your tax expires to renew it. Ive heard this is 3 days, a week, and 2 weeks. Which if any is correct? I tried searching the DVLA site but to no avail.

cheers,
    Tom.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the only comments ive heard regarding this have been from ppl who didnt have a clue - Im sure u have no allowance as such and therefore could be fined if this is the case... Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldnt take the chance just in case. If for any reason I couldnt afford to tax the car Id SORN it until I could. Sorry this wasnt much help but just what I think.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can go into the DVLA local office up to 30 days after it expires, and they won't fine you - they even ask if you want to pay for the month that you missed!!!!!

If you get stopped by plod in the meantime though, they can do you for:
    1) failure to have tax
    2) failure to display a valid tax disc
    (And yes they can do you for both offenses if they are in the mood - both carrying a fine and 1) carrying points!!)
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Basically you used to have 2 weeks grace but when the law changed it went out of the window.
    My wife sold her 205 gti a couple of years back. We had to wait for the guy to collect 2 weeks later, in which time the tax ran out. We had a fine through the post because the car wasn't taxed on 1st day of the month after expiry. Luckily we got away with it because we could prove that the car had been sold but not collected, hence not our responsibility.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Guess it depends on your luck then (and whether you get spotted on ANPR) cos I had a Golf up until 12months ago - and taxed it nearly 3 weeks late, and nothing was said.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Obviously its all down to luck at the end of the day and whether ur one of the unfortunate ones to get fined. Therefore common sense dictates that its advisable to get it taxed to save any uncertainty.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit
    Obviously its all down to luck at the end of the day and whether ur one of the unfortunate ones to get fined. Therefore common sense dictates that its advisable to get it taxed to save any uncertainty.
    Agreed ! ! !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It would have been taxed on friday only i couldnt book it in for an MOT till Tuesday, so the bank holiday is playing in my favour but still a pain in the arse.
    Anyway cheers for the help.