Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ABS & TC Lights - help me if you can....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ABS & TC Lights - help me if you can....

The two lights randomly come on a lot. Mostly just after turning the headlights on. (fitted with the HID kit but was doing this before they were fitted. )

Sometimes, just turning the car off will clear this and they wont come back on at all, but recently, they have come on a lot (read: all the time) and was wondering if this could be attributed to maybe a loose connection, a bare wire, a bad earth somewhere (sounds most plausable with them coming on when lights come on...) or if it could be a bad battery (seems like the original one from new which would be near 5 years old now.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I have had a quick look through the wheels for any signs of poor connections or bare wires, but found nothing. I will be taking each wheel off for a proper look.

Just getting worried as the MOT is coming up in a month or 2....

Thank you please.

P.S. FAO Mods - Iam not 100% sure this is the right section....?

2001 Astra Coupe turbo BTW.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mate, get a multimeter out and check your alternator. I had exactly the same symptoms (also with HID kit) and a couple of days later the alternator when totally doolaly and was trying to pump over 18v into the electrical system. Thankfully no damage was done in my case but the lights and powersteering failed suddenly, thankfully although it was a night it was a slow speed in a carpark.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I tested the alternator before nd it was ok. Was putting the obligatory 14.5 or something volts into the battery.

I will check again though seeing as its the same problem.

Your abs/tc lights would come on when the headlights were turned on? Gonna have to borrow me old mans multimeter tyhough. (Good chance to snaffle it for my own shed though!!)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Exactly that mate, as soon as I switch the lights on the the ABS/TC lights came on. I had noticed the pattern but didn't get a chance to do any checks a few days later all hell broke lose electrically. The rev counter stopped working, the lights would go off when the throttle was touched etc. Was puzzled for a few mins until someone on here mentioned checking the alternator.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What size of alternator have they got? I just had a wee look around for one but there's so many!

I am guessing they will be about the £75-£100 region. Not a biggie, just annoying.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds more like the hub sensor than the alternator to me.

Funnily enough there's a brand new one on E-Bay going cheap.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    What size of alternator have they got? I just had a wee look around for one but there's so many!

I am guessing they will be about the £75-£100 region. Not a biggie, just annoying.
    If you have air con then you need 100amp. I had a quite new 120amp that went funny and now have a 100amp. I had the 120amp one re-condtioned.

Oddjob, ordinarily I would agree that its the hub sensor but the common symptom is the fact the lights coming on when you switch the headlights on. Thats quite unusual and why I would be pointing the finger at the alternator

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    Sounds more like the hub sensor than the alternator to me.

Funnily enough there's a brand new one on E-Bay going cheap.
    hub sensor or alternator on ebay?

it doesn't only happen when the lights come on. quite often starts cold like this, but turning the car off and restarting puts the lights out.

but tonight, i drove about 30 miles after work and the lights only really came on when the headlights were turned on.

*edit* and I started and stopped the car a few times...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shahid
    If you have air con then you need 100amp. I had a quite new 120amp that went funny and now have a 100amp. I had the 120amp one re-condtioned.

Oddjob, ordinarily I would agree that its the hub sensor but the common symptom is the fact the lights coming on when you switch the headlights on. Thats quite unusual and why I would be pointing the finger at the alternator
    I'd agree with you there except that HIDs only draw 35w and not the usual 55w that halogens draw. I'd agree if the lights came on as the HID was firing up but once the initial load has died away then the HIDs will draw far less current than standard lights.

I'm at a loss to see the connection between the headlights and the ABS/TC lights, last time I saw ABS/TC lights on it was a faulty hub sensor, however the hub that was for sale on E-Bay was not for the turbo unfortunately but maybe the sensor is the same?

Perhaps refitting the standard halogens for a while would either prove or disprove the connection.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    worth a shot i would say, but i no longer have the old bulbs

i will borrow the lights from the wifes corsa....

but the abs/tc lights used to come on before the hid's were fitted too, but not as often. There is a strange 'beep' sometimes when I turn on the lights. I just accredited this to the power going to the starters for the hid's?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast