Thread: Hd Tv's

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hd Tv's

anyone got one - not buying one till my current one goes up the spout - want around 42" maybe, whats it like on 360 x boxes in hd mode, how much difference - i dont care for hd transmissions as itll be games and dvd's i use it for - lcd or plasma???? so many questions as everytime i see them in the local shops every single hd tv has variable picture quality

so whats the recommendations - oh and to add to fussy i want a black surround/screen surround bit like the samsungs not silver

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If I were you, I wouldn't buy one to put a games console on it. Pretty much most (if not all) of the big plasma's and LCD's have too much delay to make games playable (especially driving games). I have seen this on LG's and Samsung's

I've got a LG 42" HD ready plasma (Black surround with silver speaker grilles) and I've got to say, I'm absolutely astounded by the picture quality. I've not had a HD picture on it yet but even on a standard DVD/Sky feed it is amazing. The LG's have a thing called 'XD Engine' which makes a hell of a difference to the picture (I assume most manufacturers have a similair system on their Plasma's/LCD's)

The in-laws have got a 37" LG LCD and it has the same problems (delay wise) and I don't think this has as good picture quality as my plasma. I think this is down to the matt finish on the screen whereas my plasma's is a smooth finish.

So my advice would be...

Double check for the delay time of the TV (I only noticed this after I'd bought it, but have had difficulty finding out since) for your games console

Find one with a shiny, not matt screen finish for better picture quality.

I have always said, and tried to follow, the 'Get a decent brand' theory, but after a group test of high priced and low priced plasma/LCD screens, they could tell the difference between them all, but they did say that, viewed in isolation, it would be hard to pick out the differences. Mind you, I'll still probably pay top dollar for anything I get (badge snob, probably!!)

Oh, and to finish, I'd recommend an LG any day of the week, (with the proviso's above!)
    2006 Astra VXR on 19's in Arden Blue
    ExhaustsUK Catback, Eibach Sportlines, DS Ultima, Roose hose kit, Forge recirculating dump valve, Full self modded SMD conversion

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    all lcd's etc will have a response time - in ms. anything over 50-60ms and don't bother as you WILL notice it in games. I've got a 23" lcd tv / monitor hooked to my pc, the response time is 20ms and is spot on for gaming. however I've tried it with another which had about 75 or 80ms and I did notice the slight lag in a first person shooter style game, and it annoyed me to begin with ( got used to it though )
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the majority of new lcd panels are in the 20ms or under range, with some going down to below 10... and they aren't hard to find either.

So yes, whilst you want to look for response time when you're buying a screen it's foolish to say that they aren't suitable for gaming. I personally have my x360 hooked up to my 19" tft with 20m/s response time and you'd never notice any delay or ghosting

Samsung offer some very good quality screens at a reasonable price.... higher end sony bravia's kick arse but you pay through the nose for it.

LG offer some suprisingly good screens too, and at good prices.

the main things to watch out for are contrast ratios, response times and above all connecticity. make sure it has all the connections you are going to want/need such as PC vga/dvi, hdmi, component etc etc
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Following on from above, I don't think the inlaws LCD was anywhere near as bad as my plasma for delay. That may be the difference.

For FPS games, you could probably get away with either tv (Plasma or LCD), but playing GT4 on the PS2, I was going down the straights in a proper zig-zag stylee!

Rusty, if you are getting a HD ready tv, it will always have some sort of digital connection. Mine's got DVI, 15 pin D-sub and component on the HD front, with Component (Audio L+R and Video), SVGA and SCART on the non HD side. All the buttons are tucked underneath too for a better looking front!
    2006 Astra VXR on 19's in Arden Blue
    ExhaustsUK Catback, Eibach Sportlines, DS Ultima, Roose hose kit, Forge recirculating dump valve, Full self modded SMD conversion

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasher
    Rusty, if you are getting a HD ready tv, it will always have some sort of digital connection.
    yes, but it won't necessarily have all the connections you may want.... trust me - there's a lot of otherwise perfectly good tv's out there that are far more limited in terms of connectivity than they should be, so it's something to look out for, especially if you want specific connections.
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasher

I've got a LG 42" HD ready plasma (Black surround with silver speaker grilles) and I've got to say, I'm absolutely astounded by the picture quality. I've not had a HD picture on it yet but even on a standard DVD/Sky feed it is amazing. The LG's have a thing called 'XD Engine' which makes a hell of a difference to the picture (I assume most manufacturers have a similair system on their Plasma's/LCD's)
    By the sounds of it I have the same LG as you, as you said picture quality is excellent (although can sometimes be a bit ropey on Freeview broadcasts).

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've heard there are only around 2 or 3 proper High Defininition TVs on the market. The others aren't true high definition so i hear.

Don't ask me which ones though!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got a 26" JVC LCD with no faults at all, picture and sound quality is superb, also have it hooked up to my PC. Has one of the best range of connections on it too compared to those of a similar range on the market.

I went for LCD as I havent heard anything good about Plasmas, in terms of lifespan.

I havent got SKY hooked up to it yet, so can't comment on what the quality of such feed is like, but quality from the DVD player is perfect.
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All of the TV's have a processor chip. It's the speed of the chip which makes the difference.

Buy a low end Plasma/LCD (LG, Goodmans, Proline, Hitachi, Sharp), They normally use a panel from a major manufacturer (as they cannot afford the production facility themselves). There is no problem with the panel, it's just that they cannot produce the electronics or processor to the standard or performance of the other more expensive major manufacturers. It means of course you get a TV at a good price, but it does not perform as well as a Top Brand or have the contrast range.

My TV is a bit old now, it's a Panasonic 42" plasma and is not HD ready. Fantastic picture though with video games on PS2/Gamecube being improved no end on the screen.

Not worth buying an Xbox 360 unless you have a HD TV, as the std resolution of TV does not show the graphics to level they can be produced. A lot of people compared the same game from Xbox to the 360 on std TV and there was really negligible difference. Thats why so my people Ebayed there 360's after very short time of ownership.

I would recommend that anyone wanting to buy a next gen console, wait until November when the other two (PS3 & Revolution) have come on the market. The 360 is about to get dropped slightly in price anyway.

Oh and on the lifespan comment, most Plasma's will last about 10 years and then go to about half brightness.

The big thing which still makes Plasma better than LCD is the contrast range.
    You need to spend more on an LCD to get something equivalent for example 42" Panasonic Plasma £1900 Contrast 4000:1, 37" LG Lcd £1700 Contrast Ratio 1200:1.
    Comment from Comet site "This is the measurement of the difference in light intensity between the brightest white and the darkest black. The higher the contrast ratio the better the picture quality. "

Similar in price, but the Plasma will wipe the floor unless compared to LCD £1000 more.

Plus has anyone noticed that really fast video games on a PC look really poor on an LCD compared to a CRT?

Oh and got a LG 19" TFT on my PC, the thing is only just over a year old and it has a bad pixel. Can it be repaired, I think not!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast