Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Use your aircon in the winter or your warrenty is void

Can anyone tell me if this is rubbish

As the tittle says went to VX masterfit today as a long running issue with my aircon needs sorting before the warrenty is up in 2 weeks.

All started last summer when was hearing a spinning nose from the engine area after acceleration pedal released to change gear and burning smell coming from the engine. (ZS came up with aircon compressor clutch) VX could find nothing after several visits and wont listen to the clutch idea as said it wouldn't work at all, so gave up as winter was here. Took it back a few weeks ago as warranty nearly up but didnt check if problem still there just reported it as such. Again nothing found. "Come back when you smell the burning again" i was told.

Anyway put it on this week and now find that its not working at all. back ZS's suggestion. Took it in today to be asked do you use it regularly to which i reply "what? in the winter?" coz if you dont it wont be covered in the warranty.

What the hell even if you turn the heater up who is going to run the aircon using up fuel and power in the winter? Is this total rubbish?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dunno if the warranty be void but you are recommende to use it for around 10 mins per day on average

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds to be theyre talking nonsense mate...

best bet is to call vaux headquarters and make a complaint...then get it seen by a different dealer

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The gas in the aircon system also acts as a lubricant, and stops the seals and piping from drying out. You should run the aircon once a week to move the gas around a bit.

Also, aircon works as a dehumidifier, so aids the demister on humid days. Put the aircon on recycle air, and put the heater on at the same time, and the aircon will dry out the car on wet days.

Edit: running the aircon can also stop that aircon clutch getting bunged up with dirt - it's down near the bottom of the engine, so left disconnected long enough you'll end up with all sorts of crap between the plates...
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks ZS not quite what i was looking for mate! But i do understand what your saying. When they checked it last week they said all was fine and it was fully gassed. Just wondering if they can use this reason to not do the work needed under the warrenty considering this has been going on since last year. They tried replacing the fan belt an pretentioner as they suspected that. No joy there. When you said it was possible the electronic clutch they have taken no notiv=ce of that suggestion at all.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's a few tests you can do on th aircon clutch if you can reach it, and if you have a multimeter.

First is the good old sight test. Get a torch, and have a good look at the aircon pump around the belt pully. Have the engine running, and get a mate to turn on the aircon. You should be able to see the clutch engaging and a part of the pully that wasn't turning should now start to turn. You'll also be able to hear the pump gurgling and running (it's only a fridge motor, so it'll make fridge noises).

If it's not turning, or you can't see if it's doing it's thing or not, then you can do the electrical tests. First one is to check if power is being supplied to the clutch on the pump. That's as simple as disconnecting the lead from the pump and checking if +12V is being supplied when the aircon is turned on. Again, this is best done while the engine is running - be careful you don't get sucked into the belt! If there's power then it's probably the clutch. You cna do a resistance test across the socket on the pump - if it's open circuit then the clutch is burnt out. If it gives a resistance, then chances are the clutch is OK.

Obviously, you only attempt these if you're sure the gas is still there OK. A lot of Vauxhall dealerships don't have anyone trained in aircon systems, so rely on independant guys to do it. Vxl dealerships seem scred to touch aircon, but there's really not much to it in reality.

If the aircon is not working, maybe you could agree with the dealership to get an independant aircon place to check the system over, and if there is a fault then they pay for the repair, as they're obviously incapable of fixing it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the very helpful advise ZS i'm gonna give it one more try with the service manager on tuesday then I'll check this out as best i can as dont even know where the aircon unit is but can do some investigating.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tell him you miss heard him and yes you switch it on all the time but it didnt really get that cold.

There is noway they can prove you dont press the button to 'turn it on'

I use mine to demist the window's in the morning too

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    David, the aircon pump will be down the front of the engine. It's plainly visable if you've a 1.4, 1.6 or 1.8. Any other engine it'll probably be well hidden. It looks like an alternator, only it'll have a big hose hanging out of it at the top.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As lee has said there is no way to disprove anything that your saying
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast