Thread: Bonnet Release Problems

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bonnet Release Problems

I posted a thread a while back saying I couldnt release my bonnet as the catch has gone, ive still got this problem. I read a different post where someone had the same problem, and it suggested breaking out the grille to get better access.

Ive done this and still cant get the damn thing open! Whats the tip to get it open? Its a mk4 coupe turbo 02 plate. Ive tried bouncing off the bonnet with my mate holding the lever open, and now ive broken the grille out my poor astra looks a state. I can see inside a round-pyramind shape thing poking through a plate which i think is the catch, but theres no room to hit this with a hammer or anything.

Shes booked in at Vauxhall on Friday but i really dont want to be ripped off for only wanting to open my bonnet. The bloke at Vauxhall today said i need to pull out the air-intake to get access to the cable behind it. Someone please help me and my poor baby

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a similar problem with my 5 door hatch, ended up taking it into vauxhall. They removed the bumper and got to the catch that way. This should be simple to do, a screw at each arch, 3 under the bumper and 2 just below the front of the bonnet holding the bumper to the cross member which you cant get to without the bonnet open (not sure how the mechanic did this!). Anyway the bonnet release cable had stretched so the mechanic re wired this . Total cost of £90 for around an hour and a half's work!!! Give it a go and if you cant do it yourself then you can always take it into vauxhall. Personally I wouldnt go to vauxhall again, im sure that ony old mechanic should be able to do this. Good luck mate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenous
    and 2 just below the front of the bonnet holding the bumper to the cross member which you cant get to without the bonnet open (not sure how the mechanic did this!)

you could push out those two pins from under the car..... easier if it's on a lift of course, but doable with just a jack and some axle stands
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.