Thread: Overheating Tip

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Overheating Tip

Recently ive been reading about a few astras running high on temperature, now this is gonna seem basic, and i hate teaching people to suck eggs, and mods if this is totaly irrelivant to anything please delete this thread. Thing is today i was sitting in traffic, stop start type stuff when i glanced at my temp needle and it was reading just over 100 degrees Everything rushed through my head, i tried to use my vents/blower to cool it down but just my luck the blower wasnt working!! things were getting worse until at the last moment the traffic lightened and was able to "put my foot down" to get cool air into the bay! it wasnt until i got home that i relised last night i had topped up the coolant with antifreeze, then i relised that for the past few times its needed topping up ive only used anti freeze! in short it was a lack of water in the coolant that was causing the high temp!! so please people, check your mix ratios, anti freeze does exactly what it says on the tin, stops it freezing and not acts as coolant!!

Anyhow proberly totaly irrelevant to anyone so i posted it here, just to share my experience

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    But antifreeze has a higher boiling point than water so it should mean the higher the mix the cooler the engine will run? If you have a 1:2 mix it raises the boiling point to around 105C. If it is overheating it is more likely to be down to a lack of antifreeze than too little water as one of the key uses for using it is to act as a coolant but is primarily there to stop freezing and to stop the cooling system from rusting and preventing corrosion.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its not the boiling point of antifreeze, its the heat conductance, water does alot better job of conducting and disipating heat that anti freeze does! Either way just by adding a few drop of tap water its solved my problem, and its running fine, even in stand still traffic.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can anyone actually verify any of this because Robc actually has a good point, starting to doubt my own views now, even though it has solved my problem!? just intrested to know thats all!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On the back of the Antifreeze bottles dosent it say it must be added with water?

Im pretty sure my last one did when I flushed the cooling system.

Also should tell you the mix for summer (20% antifreeze) and the mix for winter (50/50).

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

i have read about this stuff alot and never tried it. maybe it could help?