Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tinting rear lights?

Hey Guys,

Im planning on tinting all 3 of my rear lights in the next few weeks. Has anyone got an tips on doing it? Or is it really just as straight forward as removing the lights and spraying coat after coat until you get the desired effect?

Has anyone been pulled by the police for tinting the rear lights? I know its not road legal, and could you possibly fail an MOT for it?

Oh how many cans do you recon I will need?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

John
    Drives: Astra MK4 Coupe 2.2 & MK4 Estate 1.7TDI (Car Modification Diary)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had station bodyshop do mine with a tinted laquer.

Cost me £50 for all 3 and not been stopped as the refelctor still works as they used a tinted laquer and not paint

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i used one can of savage to do both my lights on the hatch...one should be plenty

for a top class finish get your bodyshop to do it its finding a dust-free environment thats really difficult

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i got AstraDti16v to do mine and it was a very good job he done prob as good as the bodyshop people

touchwood i havent been pulled over yet either theres pictures of my sig of them not quality pics though

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    one can of savage tinting spray and a can of normal laquer will be more than enough....

build up the layers as lightly as possible (you won't even be able to see it tinting at first if you are doing them sufficiently light) with about 15-20 mins between coats. once you have got to the darkness you want, give it a few coats of laquer. let the laquer cure for at week or two and then cut it back to get it nice and smooth.

as for the relfector, if you mask it off while spraying the tinting spray (or at least leave it maksed for a couple of coast to make it lighter) then remove the masking when you laquer you'll have a more functional reflector.

pic of mine:

obviously with the police the darker you go the more likely you are to have hassle... but in all honesty as long as a "reasonable" amount of light can get out and the reflector works they have little grounds for actually doing anything.

i'd recommend doing the brake light/fog switcheroo mod to increase your brakelight visibility and maybe getting some brighter indicator bulbs (such as the philips plus versions)
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.