Thread: quick couple of exhaust questions...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

quick couple of exhaust questions...

after just reading about it in another thread i have 2 questions...

firstly, on the backbox of my sri-t the bottom seems rusted pretty bad and can just peel it off, but about 5mm behind that seems to be the acutal backbox which is fine...should i worry about this or is the extra "skin" just there for no practical purpose?

lastly, when i turn off the engine the exhaust keeps "clicking" and makes a fair bit of noise for a minute or so,
    ive known of cars do this before but not this much, whats the reason for it? (please dont tell me the cats fecked)
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well it looks like this outer shell is just that - a shell and the real exhaust is behind it - odd, never seen that before.

I don't know why the exhausts are made like that - maybe to make the actual exhaust last longer.

The ticking noise will just be the thing cooling down. Mine does this also, and many of my previous cars did it too - its seems to vary from car to car, I wouldn't worry about it. My wifes old 206 made this ticking noises for up to an hour sometimes!!
    2003 Astra 1.8 SXi & 2005 Zafira GSi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dualfuel_1.8sxi
    The ticking noise will just be the thing cooling down. Mine does this also, and many of my previous cars did it too - its seems to vary from car to car, I wouldn't worry about it. My wifes old 206 made this ticking noises for up to an hour sometimes!!
    thats what i always thought it was, just my 1.8SRi doesnt do it with the older exhaust or with the remus pipe i fitted,
    its not a big prob, just wanted to make sure it wasnt a big problem,
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same thing happen on my exhaust last year, just pulled the outer skin off as the joints had rusted. The backbox will still be perfectly ok without this outer skin, it just means it doesnt have as much protection.

But if it is the joints around most of the backbox that are rusting up and rotting then it wont be long before you will need a new backbox.

Mine got throught the MOT fine without the skin, but it was advised that a new one would be necessery before the next MOT.
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's double skinned, most exhausts are.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe