Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Add DEMON ASTRA on Facebook Add DEMON ASTRA on Google+

Question Which Oil?

I got my tracking done also got a oil and filter change I have asked multiple companys wether I can use fully synthetic oil or not but I am getting different replies! So I dont want to put it in, incase Im not meant I would usually do an oil change myself as I dont really like anyone else touching her but due to how much the change was needed and leant out tools got it done again told not to put in fully well they wouldnt entertain me could someone please help me and tell me if I can or not its a 1.6/16v ZXE16XE any info appreciated!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its just like the question of whether or not to use a higher octane rated fuel, can't see there being a huge difference between using semi synethic over fully. Apart from cost of fully. In your engine too its not going to be exposed to really high temperatures as it would be in a turbo engine. My advice would be to just by the semi and change it regulally.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice mate wat you think at the moment im every 5k but vxl say 12k haynes say 10k know thats far to much but you think 5ks alright?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It really depends how long you want to keep the car. I use Mobil1 0W-40 fully synthetic, changed every 5,000 miles, but I'm planning on 200,000 miles before changing the car!

If you choose semi-synthetic, DON'T use Vauxhalls extended oil change intervals, these are for fully-synthetic only.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply I am planning on keeping her a while and cruize alot so you would advise fully then as I plan on keeping her?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Some "fully-synthetic" oils are no better than good semi-synthetics. Price is a good guide to oil quality (not specification, that's different).

It costs me just over £30 for 4 litres of Mobil1, every 5,000 miles, but most owners wouldn't pay that sort of money. I'm happy, though, as the emissions are still 0.00% CO and 0 ppm HC on the 80,000 Mot test, compared to the limits of 0.20% CO and 200 ppm HC.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice mate £30s well worth it to keep ma engine running well by sounds of it your runnin still well cheers mate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Price is no indication of good oil, just go to halfords and buy the it there it'll be expensive but won't make it good. Admitadly really good oils are expensive but there just not applicable in this case really. You need to find out about the ACEA rating on it, not sure on how it works but im sure a bit of research will bring the relevant info up mate. The ACEA is the guide to how good an oil really is. You can get come mineral oils that would be better than synethic stuff.

Its not going to make a huge difference to you dmeon bacause like i said its still a standard engine i beleive, its just a case of changing it regulally. To give you some idea i use Vaux semi synethic in my Z20 LEt and i change it every 3000 miles, this is what i've done with every car i've owned.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the advice mate getting a Z20LET conv hopefully be in and back out for show season really starting!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ACEA

A1 - Fuel economy petrol oil
    A2 - Standard Performance Level
    A3 - High Performance and/or extended drain
    A4- Reserved for future use
    A5- Combines A1 & A3

API

SM - All new cars
    SL - for 2004 and older
    SJ - For 2001 and older

If you are running a turbo on your engine then you need to use a fully synthetic as they tend to be more stable under high temperatures. Just because an oil says it is synthetic does not make it so you need to be looking for a fully synthetic oil ie ester based not a synthetic which could contain only a small amount of synthetic oil.

I have read on alot of forums that people think that the vauxhall semi and syn oils are the daddy, they are not. They are an average oil made by the cheapest company for vauxhall and are only made to meet the specs that vauxhall give them. At the end of the day you go to vauxhall too buy a car they dont spend millions developing their oils. This is my opinion and also from feedback I have had off my customers.

I work selling Shell oils so I am a little biased but you have to remember Shell spend millions developing new technology for oil, likewise for castrol fusch etc.

For fully syn change every 7000 miles
    For Semi change every 5000 miles
    For mineral every 3-5000

I use Helix Ultra which is a fully synthetic and change every 3000 miles but I get 5litres for about £13.00 so I can get away with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast