Thread: Not Your Average Install

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not Your Average Install

Right, I have spent some time creating an install. Thing is, its not your average install - here were the constraints:

• Couldnt use boot space due to University trips always using the whole boot (also meant parcel shelf was a no-go).
    • Had to be subtle, so as not to attract theiving scum attention
    • Had to be easy enough for an ICE newbie to install
    • Needed a sub, but nothing that would shake the car or be heard from outside - I wanted sound quality and some depth to the music
    • All had to be done on a budget of £300

So.. what did I manage to get?
    Alpine Type R front components (SPR-176A),
    an Alpine Active Subwoofer (8inch SWD-2000 350W Class D),
    Kenwood 6989ie 6x9 speakers (had these already),
    Alpine MRP-F240 four channel amplifier (4x50w RMS),
    JVC KD-LHX501 touchscreen MP3/CD player,
    Speaker adaptors (Autoleads),
    Amp Wiring Kit (Renegade),
    JVC Head Unit Steering Control Adaptor,
    10sq ft sound deadening.
    Its all taken about 4 months to get at such cheap prices, but it was worth the wait!

Right... the first task was being able to fit everything in, without using the boot. I decided to use the passenger footwell. I was going to mount the amp in a false floor, and may still do so, but it was alot of work, and I didnt have the time to do it. I decided to mount it in the glovebox instead.

The first step was to dismantle the sub as it was too deep to fit in the footwell. So I removed the feet, and mounting brackets. Then I needed to remove some trim and the glovebox to see what sort of space I had:

I needed to remove some trim, heater pipe and hacksaw a bit of the dash off. Then I re-drilled a mount to the sub and used a bolt already behind the glovebox to mount it to:

I put two layers of sound deadening, one underneath the carpet, and one on top directly underneath the woofer. The wiring was pretty simple, a remote, ground and the live linked up to the power output of the head unit which was nice. After trial fitting the woofer and running it off of a Sony S2000 CD player, I waited for the amp and head unit to arrive.

In the meantime I fitted the components to the front doors. Pretty straightforward, the wiring was a bit fiddly, and mounting the tweeters in the mirror covers took a bit of head-scratching and superglue:

When the amp arrived, all hell broke loose. The amp almost fitted into the bottom of the glovebox but in the end I had to cut up the glovebox and redrill the amp (eek!) to mount it in there.

I had to take the power from the battery, and then run the cable through the bulkhead and into the glovebox. You can see the sound deadening in this pic too.

Getting the wires into the box, and onto the amplifier and mounting it took alot of patience and fiddling. The amp was a real balancing act in the glovebox, too far forward and the lid wouldnt close, too far back and the glovebox wouldnt fit. Eventually I got it in and wired up:

And the amp sub and new JVC headunit:

The Amp:

The Head Unit:

I fitted the rear 6x9's before xmas (I did the how-to on it) but here are refresher pics:

Soooo... was the whole system worth it?

Definately Awesome sound quality with perfect balance of bass and mid from the woofer and highs from the tweeters and crossovers! I was very happy today when it was all finished. Also happy I manaaged to fit it all myself and make massive savings on buying all the equipment.

Comments welcomed, good and bad

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    for £300 thats great work! just goes to show how much money you can save when you DIY...

hope thats a class D (digital amp) in the glovebox...otherwise u might get some cooling problems - nothing that can't be solved though

you've inspired me to give something like this a go in summer

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    excellent....not seen a sub like that before.
    ..have you thought about putting frame round it to make a floor to help hide it ?

or even just make a frame with acoustic carpet

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers matey, not sure if it is class D but there is air all around it, and with the heater (or cooler ) now blowing straight past the back of the glovebox (which now has no back) there should be enough airflow! We shall wait and see though - thanks for the warning!

If you need some perspex and blue LED's I bought them but havent used them.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Coo, I did think about it and may put one there - but it wont be till summer! It does allow a little bit of extra legroom on the right of the sub though. Not really a problem for me however as I will be driving (and the GF is short!)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very nice install.

How do you find that headunit mate? I've been thinking of picking one up for myself but struggling to find any opinions on it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paz
    Very nice install.

How do you find that headunit mate? I've been thinking of picking one up for myself but struggling to find any opinions on it.
    I've got the same head unit. Its pretty good overall but some times the touch screen can be a little stubborn and not recognise when your touching it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you have any problems fitting the components? Because I know they don't fit into a Corsa as the magnets hit the windows

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So the alpine thing in the footwell is the sub if the amp is in the glovebox?
    Gav Coup'e se2

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im confused you said it had to be subtle so that it wouldnt attract thieves but you mounted your amp in the most visable place. all thieves look in the footwell for bags. move it under the seat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast