Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Handheld speed guns used by police

All,

On a 50 stretch that became a 30 and probably let the car slow down too slowly. As I came around the corner I suddenly saw a police officer with a mobile speed gun of some sort. I looked at the speedo, and was doing about 37....I hit the brakes and got it down to 30.

The officer did not pull me over at the time. I was wondering, if with mobile devices, if the officer has to stop you there and then, or whether they now have cameras built-in to the handheld devices and you get something in the post?

Thanks for any help!
    Jonathan

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They don't need a camera, unfortunately a coppers word is enough to send you a fixed penalty through the post!

TBH at 37 - you'll probably be fine - I'm sure he's caught much more 'real criminals' to bother with a 37, which might be overturned anyway.
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ...chances are ur speedo is reading 2-3mph too high...i think the most accurate speed is gps, which u can get off tomtom

...and your allowed 10% leaway also

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_shabzzz
    ...and your allowed 10% leaway also
    No you're not. Most constabularies give you 10% because if they did every speeding driver they wouldn't be able to cope with the paperwork!!

Some constabularies are now offering a zero tolerance - which means you get 2mph at all speeds!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Under the general law, its 10% + 1mph, to allow for inaccuracies, so 34mph is definite fine and points.

was there any other traffic in front of you, also normally they have the cars and bikes ready to pull people over, 99% sure u got away with it.
    Zafira B SRi Turbo

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_engineer
    Under the general law, its 10% + 1mph, to allow for inaccuracies, so 34mph is definite fine and points.
    The advice to chief constables says 10% +3(from the car speedo) to allow for watching the road and variations in speedo accuracy. If you are doing over 32mph (measured by laser device/camera) then they legally can still make you pay up. Most constabularies still give the leeway as advised from Home Office to Chief Constables, but on dangerous roads, accident black spots and known speeding areas then you might find that you get done when you didn't think you were speeding. They can also make you go get your speedo checked at an MOT station, and fine you for that too!

Quote Originally Posted by uk_engineer
    was there any other traffic in front of you, also normally they have the cars and bikes ready to pull people over, 99% sure u got away with it.
    Most constabularies only pull you over if you're way over the speed limit, driving wrecklessly or car comes up as flagged on ANPR database. A postage fine saves them time and paperwork.

Fingers crossed for you though Jonathan!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M555TJH_SRi
    Most constabularies only pull you over if you're way over the speed limit, driving wrecklessly or car comes up as flagged on ANPR database. A postage fine saves them time and paperwork.

Fingers crossed for you though Jonathan!!
    Thanks! I believe my speed was really about 36/37 because my speedo was reading just under 40, and I know it to be about 3 mph out, as per a Tom Tom GPS true reading.

There was another car infront of me, but as the copper was to the side of the road, he would have been able to aim the gun at me without interference from the car infront, I think.

The copper was on his own with the gun. There was a police car with another officer parked near to him. I guess he could have a radio permanently switched on to read out registration plates to another officer, but he wouldn't have been able to write it down. Thats why I was wondering if they put cameras into these devices nowadays.

I find it amazing though, that you could be booked by post, with no photograph of your car, or a printout from the radar gun, or at least something that confirms your speed...rather than just an officer who speaks over his radio, 37mph and reg plate ABC 123 D.

Cheers for the support!
    Jonathan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yup, that copper nr to him would have had your ass on his word, only time u get postal copping is by gatso or truvello, or of course the lovely SPECS!
    Zafira B SRi Turbo

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got a postal for a laser gun.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    with no evidence contest it, unless theres 2 coppers of course, if theres only 1 he got no chance.
    Zafira B SRi Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast