Thread: Power Steering Whining

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Power Steering Whining

When the power steering gets warm, it starts to whine, my mate at vauxhall pulled the fuse out and it stopped, he did say that there is an additive that can put in as some models the oil has a strange reaction.

Does this mean that the power steering will fail shortly or do all astras do this?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    first of all are u using the correct fluid. due to the nature of the elec pas pump its highly recommended u use the correct Vx fluid (part # 93160548 @ about £6.50/litre) its green unlike the red stuff (AT fluid) used in most pas systems. As for the "whining" this could be a number of things, remember the system uses a hell of a lot of power to run the pump so it could just be insufficient juice from ur alternator. You could always try bleeding the system (start engine and slowly rotate wheel from lock to lock 3 times, check fluid before and after)
    as for the "additive" Id be very wary of this and can only presume your friend meant use the correct green fluid.
    This post may be totally useless Im just giving my opinion from my personal experience with this. Good luck and hopefully u can get it sorted asap.
    btw which pump is ur car running? TRW Generation 1/Generation 2? or Delphi ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure which pump i have how can i tell? and also how often does the power steering fluid need changing?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TRW uses round reservoirs - The Generation 1 uses a slim round reservoir with a ribbed metal body whereas the Gen 2 has a smallish tubby reservoir with a smooth metal body, The Delphi system has an angular reservoir. The Gen 1 TRW units are prone to failure but seeing as yours is a 2.2 I'd presume u have the Gen 2 or Delphi. Dont know off hand how often it should be changed but if youve had car a while and dont know then maybe its worth while doing - but as I said earlier if you havent got the green VX stuff in your reservoir then Id recommend u change it asap as the standard AT fluid really is no use for this type of system. Either way I'd change the fluid anyway and see if the problem persists. Hope you've checked your fluid level already? as low fluid can cause whining noises

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The fluid level is fine, i think i will change the fluid to be the safe side. All i know about the reservoir is that it is in a green (i think - plastic) bottle at the back of the engine.