Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gear box oil/ notchy in cold? help please!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

gear box oil/ notchy in cold? help please!!!

took my car down network Q today for them to check why my gears were dificult to engage in morning/ cold and they said gear box/linkage/oil was fine bla bla bla although it seems notchy still in the mornings, i looked up some old topics on here but they were all bit messy....

Is it easy to change the gear box oil?
    what kind will make it smoother ?
    how much of it do i need ?
    Cost?
    something i could do myself or do i definantly need someone who knows wat they doing to do it?

have you had similar problems how did you solve it?

cheers
    Astra sxi - 1.6 16v 2002

January 2007 - im gonna buy me a sri-Turbo!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

Mines the same, i've had mine since 10000 miles when i bought it. Its always done it and I under stand its quite common. I'm sure an oil change may help and i'm sure someone will say what too.

(i'm guessing its the F23 box

I later learn that VX know about it and they suggest the following:
    Some customer complain about bad cold shifting behaviour in 1st and 2nd gear. The gearshift mechanism is correctly adjusted and clutch system is bleeded.
    Cause:Tolerances of toothing of the sliding gear.
    Production:Introduction of transmission with modified siding gear as of transmission number Gxx03240969 in calendar week 41 / 2003.
    Remedy:

In case of customer complaint the sliding gear has to be replaced byusing the Repair Kit, Partno.: 9201451 / Catalogno.: 16 07 013. Thereis no need to replace the entire transmission.FunctionalGroup:K - Clutch/TransmissionComplaint Group:08 - Hard to operateTrouble Code:None
    Mk4 Astra coupe SE 2
    Signum 3.0CDTi
    Now Owns: Vectra C GSi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure what gearbox I have in my 1998 1.8 mk4 (F17?), but would that apply to it?

Is this a vauxhall-fixes-it-for-free-as-it's-their-engineering kind of thing, or will I have to pay?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    fix for free if its still under warrenty, otherwise ytou would have to pay or put up with it
    Mk4 Astra coupe SE 2
    Signum 3.0CDTi

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astrase20

I later learn that VX know about it and they suggest the following:
    Some customer complain about bad cold shifting behaviour in 1st and 2nd gear. The gearshift mechanism is correctly adjusted and clutch system is bleeded.
    Cause:Tolerances of toothing of the sliding gear.
    Production:Introduction of transmission with modified siding gear as of transmission number Gxx03240969 in calendar week 41 / 2003.
    Remedy:

In case of customer complaint the sliding gear has to be replaced byusing the Repair Kit, Partno.: 9201451 / Catalogno.: 16 07 013. Thereis no need to replace the entire transmission.FunctionalGroup:K - Clutch/TransmissionComplaint Group:08 - Hard to operateTrouble Code:None

this is very helpful but, if i just said that too the technician ar vx they wud look at me cluelessly,

could you put that into easy to understand terms for the monkey technicians, and then i could simply give them the bit of paper, i mentoned some stuff i found on other topics on this forum like the rear hubs changing from bosch to lucas and they said it never happend, but i asked some other m8y there and he said it did (unfortunatly he wasnt the one looking at my car!)

cheeers
    Astra sxi - 1.6 16v 2002

January 2007 - im gonna buy me a sri-Turbo!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you get a quote for this do be done could you pass it on to me please.

By pm if you prefer.

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that quote came from the vauxhall TIS so they should have it, as far as i know the lucas bosch issue was just an update as they went but they deffinetly have changed them
    Mk4 Astra coupe SE 2
    Signum 3.0CDTi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    for the f17 box : ( sorry if its all teccy speak but they should know it)
    Field Remedy: 1484

Subject:F17 Transmission - Insufficient 1-2 and 3-2 shifting behavior under cold conditionsModels:Engines:Option:Corsa-C 2001...2003,Astra-G 1998...2003,Zafira 1999...2003,Vectra-B 1996...2002All,All,All,AllF17 TransmissionComplaint:It might be possible that - even if the transmission is correctly adjusted- a stiff and/or inexact shift mechanism occurs especially at cold conditions. As the transmission oil becomes warmer the shifting behavior improves. This is definitely not a transmission damage, the durability of the transmission is not affected.Cause:Problem might be caused by: - Sliding gears are out of tolerance. - Feathering at the synchronizers. - Oil stiffness.Production:Modified sliding gears have been implemented in production since June 2002 with transmission number A10721F17.
    Remedy:

In case of customer complaint install a modified sliding gear for gearfor 1st and 2nd gear. The mentioned part is available through P&A underthe following Partnumber: 13123502 / Catalognumber: 90 07 140.For further parts please refer to EPC (if required). Note:
    Up to transmission number A09091F17 ----> the following parts must bereplaced together:- Main shaft, 1st and 2nd transmission gear, synchronizer, modified sliding gear.As of transmission number A09191F17 ----> the following parts must bereplaced together:- Modified sliding gear and synchronizer (only if required).
    It is not necessary to replace the transmission end plate or thetransmission assy.FunctionalGroup:K - Clutch/TransmissionComplaint Group:08 - Hard to operateTrouble Code:No
    Mk4 Astra coupe SE 2
    Signum 3.0CDTi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That looks pretty expensive

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anything involving a gear box rebuild is going to be expensive - thats why dealers say they don't know of any fixes for it.....
    Mk4 Astra coupe SE 2
    Signum 3.0CDTi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast