Cannot remember this being asked on here before, so here goes

Pros and cons of both please.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Turbocharger requires you to be in a slightly higher gear, else you get lagg while it spins up, so you would probably use more fuel....

Supercharger runs all the time, so even a 1.0Lupo can have amazing acceleration from 30mph in 4th (if fitted with one).

cons of both - a lot of heat in the engine bay, requiring lots of cooling!!
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a supercharged saxo and all i can say is that you can get problems with the supercharger belt slipping but its probably better than a turbo for your car as its progressive where as a turbo comes in with alot of torque putting stress on driveshafts etc. supercharger sounds the nuts!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik_Sri
    I had a supercharged saxo and all i can say is that you can get problems with the supercharger belt slipping but its probably better than a turbo for your car as its progressive where as a turbo comes in with alot of torque putting stress on driveshafts etc. supercharger sounds the nuts!!
    I remember my old saxo days is it on a vts?
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Superchargers have power right from the begining but suffer top end i believe. Turbochargers obviously suffer from lag, but can produce more higher up the rev range. As stated both suffer from heat but turbo's i imagine would be worse as being exhaust gas driven the build up would be greater. If you look on a website like www.max-boost.co.uk then it would go into a lot more detail.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    easyest way to sove your quiery mate is to get both fitted
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IIRC the Porsche 959 had both fitted.

It was built as an experimental road car to homologate all sorts of new toys for racing....

Porsche couldn't decide whether they wanted to stick with their twin turbo design, or go Super... so they did both

The super gets the car moving really quickly, then the small turbo boots in to give it a bit of grunt, then the big turbo kicks in to give it real welly!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    VW's new 1.4 litre engine is supercharged and turbocharged.

Some of the information given above is slightly misleading.

A supercharger is bascially an air compressor driven by a pulley attached to the crank. So the boost is rev related. Depending on the gearing you might get 0.1 bar at 1500rpm, 0.2 at 2000rpm, 0.3 at 2500rpm etc. Due to this design torque and therefore power is directly proportional to engine revs. You get a an incremental torque curve that increases with revs.

A turbocharger is an air compressor that is driven by a clever twin prop system using the exhaust gases to spin up the exhaust wheel which in turn spins the impeller wheel creating postive air pressure. The beauty of turbos is the lack of lag compared to a supercharger. You can make full boost (eg 1bar) on most turbo engines by 3500rpm. That's why you need an actuator on a turbo, to stop it creating too much boost.

As for pros and cons, well both sap power from the engine in order to create more power - a SC from the drive pulley, a TC from restricting exhaust gas flow. Both create very high charge temperatures, (hotter air is bigger in volume meaning you can fit less into the engine), but this is easily cured with an intercooler or a charge cooler. Turbochargers kits are usually much cheaper that superchargers. Because turbos create so much boost at lower revs you could say that they place more stress on the engine than belt driven superchargers but, hey all depends if you have the right compression ration/strong engine internals to cope with it.

Personally I'd get a turbo everytime.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think 'lag; is more of a turbocharger term, a superchargers output pressure is dependant upon revs whereas when you boot a turbo car, the lag is the amount of time it takes for enough exhaust gas to be produced for the turbo to compress the intake air to the desired pressure.

also, hotter air is not bigger in volume, it is less dense, which means it contains less oxygen, required for combustion. Colder air is more dense, which means more oxygen
    Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the old Nissan Micra superTurbo, was a 1.0 or 1.3 Supercharged Turbo engine.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast