Thread: How to install a push button start on a mk4 astra

Status
    Trader
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How to install a push button start on a mk4 astra

Hi all, im using the richbrook starter kit. Please disconnect the battery.

after some great help on the forum (thanks) i have successfully installed my push button start. i have taken pictures but will post them a little later i will run through the steps as i installed it.

1. firstly i cut a around a 20mm hole using a circular cutter, iv mounted the button in front of the gear stick where the spare panel is.

2. the short black wire is the earth which you have to connect from the V terminal on the switch to the earth point.

3. From the A terminal on the switch the other black wire goes to the relay as it already comes in the pack so you dont really need to touch this wire.

4. Now you have two wires remaining, a blue wire coming from the relay and a white wire coming from the relay. Now you need to dismantle the steering column to accsess the ignition wires. to do this unscrew the two screws on the column behind the steering wheel. Also there is a torq bit underneath the columnfacing the floor which needs to be removed for accsess. now remove the top cover which sits around the indicator and wiper stalk. Also remove the underneath, you will have to unscrew the handle for the steering wheel adjustment leaver.

5. Now here is the good part. once you have gained accsess to the ignition which is on the right hand side of the column. you have to leaver of a roundish cap which have 3 black wires 1 red/black wire and 1 red wire. DO NOT remove this connector from the ignition barrel as i did and it took me nearly an hour to start the car. inside you have two metal clips which keep contact with the connectoras soon as you remove this connector the clips just fall out and if you dont loose them you wont have a clue where they go, put it this way its hassle you dont need.

6. Now you need to locate your two wires. One is the red/black which is linked to the starter solonaid which connects to the blue wire coming off the relay for the switch. Secondly you need the black wire furthest away from the red/black wire they are all in a line so leave the black wire next to the red/black and use the one next to the black wire if that makes sense. its best that you tap into the wires then use a piggy back connector as it is very difficult to remove the wires from original connector. once this is done you need to make sure no wires are touching, use some insulation tape.

7. Now your ready to test your button, connect the battery up, turn the key to the last position before the car starts and press the button, the engine should fire, as soon as the engine fires release the button.

8. Any loose wireing needs to be tucked away under the dash and the relay needs to be mounted somewhere dry with the screw provided.

Im not sure how clear this is for everyone out there but please ask any questions you need to pictures will follow shortly.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    excellent . Thank you

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Glad you got it sorted in the end and a nice run through on how you did it also
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    Trader
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks guys, it was pretty much straight forward, although i did have my doubts but thanks for your help autosparks the wires were just like you said which made it really easy.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds good
    MK4 Astra 1.6 16v SXI in BLACK
    Remus sport center section, magnex backbox de-resticted airfilter large bore intake, k&n air filter

Status
    Trader
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its not bad more of a novalty then having any need for it, takes longer to start the car if you look at it in reality but its well worth having, impresses alot of people.