Thread: Another set of wheels-I have had 6 sets now

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another set of wheels-I have had 8 sets now

I think I've gone mad. I started off with my OE 15" alloys, not the best looking of wheels but funnily enough I've still got them and in fact they are back on the car yet again.
    I then bought a set of 18" Mille Miglia HT3 alloys which were very nice but appear to be made of putty as I've got 6 of them and they are all knackered in various ways, I've since taken them off and intend to scrap them.
    I then bought a set of 17" Mk4 Turbo Coupe wheels intending to use them as winter wheels, I sold them within 1 day as someone was after a set and I wasn't overkeen on them anyway. Only bought them because the price was right.
    Then 2 sets of alloys come up at the same time, either would do so I bid on them both and wouldn't you know it I won them both. One was a set of Mk5 17" SRi Turbo rims, the other was a set of 18" Mk5 Upgrade rims commonly known as Penta rims. The 17" rims wouldn't clear my Brembos by enough to satisfy me so they were sold. The Pentas are staying and will be my summer rims when they have been refurbed to my satisfaction, not sure on the look yet, may be diamond cut, may not.
    Today I spotted a set of Mk4 SE2 rims and couldn't resist a bid, didn't expect to win but I did, 4 rims with tyres but 2 tyres aren't worth much and I'll probably scrap the other 2 unless they are good. These will be my winter wheels provided they clear the Brembos.

Now that's a lot of rims for one car, still need a spare Penta which I'll probably buy new as I'll get the missus to get it trade.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah Ken you were sayin before you were gonna take the 18s off and replace them with 17s,you still on for doing that,i could not understand why you would do that.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    all them and i cant get a set of turbo rims

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm going for both Nige, 18s during the summer and 17s for the winter. I'll fit the 18s with summer tyres, already got them in fact 5 Avon 215/35x18 ZZ3. The 17s will have winter tyres (mud and snow) on them. It's not well known but all UK cars come with summer tyres on them, no wonder when it snows we are all over the place as they are not designed to cut through the snow. I need 17s in order to get them to clear the Brembos, otherwise I'd probably go for 16s.

The 18s are nice to look at but the ride is harsher and rim damage is easier as the side wall is much thinner than 17s.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza1591
    all them and i cant get a set of turbo rims
    Funnily enough mate I'm picking up the SE2 rims from Worcester this saturday.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok well you have it sorted when it comes to tyres,that is wot i was wondering I hope to get 18 inch rims all been well this year how can i be sure they will fit ok,like no room for error you cant take them back if they dont fit.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    Funnily enough mate I'm picking up the SE2 rims from Worcester this saturday.
    how did you manage to get these withount me knowing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nige picking wheels isn't rocket science, just use a little common sense.

Get the right ET, if your planning to lower the car more than 40mm don't go lower than ET40, stay within the ET40-49 and your ok on that front. Don't go too wide, 7J or 7.5J are fine. Make sure you get the stud pattern right PCD of 100 for 4 stud and 110 for 5 stud. Make sure you get spigot rings with any aftermarket alloys, not needed generally with Vx rims.

Get the right size tyres, 215/40x17 for 17s or 215/45x17 if you want a more comfy ride but the tyre can look a little heavy.
    215/35x18 with 18s. Don't go for budget tyres if poss, get a good name with a good rep. Ask for recommendations if unsure.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza1591
    how did you manage to get these withount me knowing
    E-Bay mate, these are the SE2 rims I've just won

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ahhhhhhhh cant beleave i missed them i could

how much did you pay for them if you dont mind me asking ?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast