Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question DIY Tinting - need loadsa Advice if pos

Hello....

I know this has come up on the forums loads of time and I have read through the others but I'm still unsure of what to do....

I have an Astra Coupe 1.8 on a 52 plate and want light smoke on the front sides and dark smoke on the back sides and back. I have found somewhere that will sell me this for £42 (made by Trillogy UK Ltd who are supposedly good? and pre cut to shape) or a company that will do just the back but for £180 - I defiantly want the front done too, not because I am a weirdo but just cos I think it look silly when it goes from clear to black strait away.

I am quite good at doing this sort of thing so I am quite confident that I can do the sides near perfectly no hassles, my issue is the back. It to three of us over an hour to get a dead bumble bee out from the little gap between the shelf and the bottom of the rear window when I first bought the car, could someone tell me how much of an issue it is going to be for me to do this? The Tint suppliers have told me that on Coupe models they supply the back window in two strips because of how difficult it is to do, and say I will not notice it from the out side when done. Is this actually the case? or will it end up looking silly if it is in two pieces? should I ask for it in one piece and spend the extra time?

Also does anyone know of the rear heater elements on the window are going to melt it or anything - they said not but at the same time they are trying to make a sale.

How long do you think an unexperienced person would take to fit them?

Finally, my coupe used to get very and condensation in the back (although it hasn't in some time now - will this cause a problem?

I would be grateful if ppl could post all the recommendations and advice that they have as I really want it tinted but a) don't really have £180 at the moment and b) do not want to have the back done and not the front.

Thanks,

James
    James

If you drive a coupe then sign up for

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont do it iv seen tomany done and they look terriable get it done properly they'll take the back window out and do it.
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    DO NOT buy pre cut kits. its not worth it m8. they are all shite!
    get it done properly and do not get anything darker than 50% on front. your rear elements wont damage the tint if you get it done from a good company as they buy the proper stuff. i can put you in touch with a guy in southhampton( dunno how far that is from you) and he should be able to help you out m8. would do it for you but a think glasgow might be a bit far to travel.

i trained the guys in southampton so i know they are good.

click me!

this is 50% on sides and 20% on back
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The factory tint on the front side windows is already on the legal limit so any extra will get you pulled as plod view this more seriously now.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    DONT DO IT JROLFE, i have tried on several cars and they do NOT work! they will look atrocious!

Sorry to hijack but GlasgeeStu, do you get any extra police attention for 50% tints ?
    GSi Turbo - CS2 - 253bhp / 275ft/lb Torque
    1/4 mile - 14.62secs @ 95.5mph

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, I don’t want anything silly on the front, 50% would be more than fine for what I'm after I'm sure.

As for factory tinting being as close to the limit on the front as I should go - as far as I know my coupe wasn't factory tinted at all! - it looks 100% clear on all 6 windows, the tinting you have on that gold coupe look perfect for what I am after.

If you could give me the number / email address or get me a quote for the
    Southampton place it would be good (or anywhere else with say 40 miles of Portsmouth??) All the places I have tried have said no to anything on the front and I think cars look silly with it only on the back.

Thanks

James
    James

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All Astra G, except basic Envoy, get tinted glass as standard so I find it difficult to believe that your coupe has clear glass.

Check the "labelling" bonded into each pane, it'll give the light transmission %.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your right, they all say 70% minimum but I really cannot tell the difference between that and my girlfriends cars windows, which is a 1993 1.1 fiesta that doesn't have a clock, rear wipe, cig lighter, or anything else for that matter so I doubt that will have factory tinted windows lol.

Here are a couple of pics, both of them are really bad examples but I had gone out there is a towel as I am waiting for the shower and it is DAMN COLD! If you avoid looking at the reflections in the pics you can see that they all seem 100% clear,
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...e/DSC00508.jpg
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...e/DSC00509.jpg

This is the level of tinting I am after...
    http://www.autoexprs.com/mini/images/DSC00360.JPG

Do you think that would get me pulled then?

(Sorry, Having issues resizing the images on here)
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/OEMSTU%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    James

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

50% front doors and 35% everywhere else

The rear has been done in one piece and to do it properally all the rear shelf and rear quater panels were removed. This was done in a controled enviorment so dust is at a minimum (not by me)

I've seen the quality of work thats been done by so called professionals at the side of the road so I wouldn't recomend doing it yourself
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That is exactly what I am after,

Can I ask how much it cost you and where you had it done? my sister lives in Angel so if it is around the North London area I could get it done when I next see her...

Do you have problems with the police? I am still really confused about the Legal limit - some places tell me you can have nothing and others say you can have up to 30% light transmitting?

If anyone else know where I can have this done in the Portsmouth / Hampshire area please let me know (a cost estimate would also be helpful but not needed)

Thanks for all the help,

James
    James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast