Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Power Steering - Don't think it's the alternator

Hi guys,

Got a problem with the power steering - Mk 4 1.6 16v. Driving home from work last night and it just stopped working and then intermitently came back on then off.

Checked the fluid and it was a little low, so topped up and still it cuts out.

Checked the battery with a multimeter - 12.7v engine off and 14.35v running and no real variation when revving, so they seem normal - I think? So it doesn't look like the alternator.

Any ideas? The fluid reservoir is rounded so I think that means it's the TRW pump (known to fail - bugger!)

If this means the pump is on it's way out, does anyone know how tough a job this is? I'm pretty competant at most car maintainance, but not a whizz by any stretch. Although I do know a very good mechanic that would help me out.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I found a picture of the type of reservoir/attached pump that mine appears to be

Does anyone know if this is th TRW type pump?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could just be the connector.. its an electric pump.. follow the wiring from it to a connector where it joins another loom... unplug it and check your voltages loom side there (you'll either have 2 or 3 wires depending on which pump it is)

I dont know what readings you should get there but as long as 1 is live on the 2 pin or 2 lives on the 3 pin then you are good that the looms fine so it'll be the pump itself... (or a break in the wiring after that connector. if that made any sense.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    skuzzle, I think I love you!

Followed the wire from the power steering pump and it leads directly to a loop off the battery, this connection was loose tightened it up.....and no worries....yet.

I think it may be fixed, but as it was intermittent, time will tell, I guess!

cheers matey

EDIT:

For info, autovaux don't supply PAS pumps, they get them direct from vauxall for £535!!!!

Megavaux do reconditioned ones with 6 months warranty for £100.

Glad I dodged that expensive bullet - for now at least!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Slobdog if u have any more queries regarding this matter drop me a line I know all the ins and outs of the PAS problems on this car (dont ask! lol) by the way the kind of pump u have is the TRW Generation 2 pump and this unit is NOT the known to be faulty type - that one is the Generation 1 pump and has a slimmer reservoir and a ribbed metal body as opposed to the smoothed body of your pump. For any1 interested I know of a supplier that sells recon pumps with 2yr guarantee - any queries drop me a line.

I know it appears that ur problem has been fixed and lets hope so - if not hopefully this post will be of some use.