Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wear on tyres on the inside (front 2)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wear on tyres on the inside (front 2)

Hi there

I have recently lowered my car -60mm on the front and -40mm on the back with spax springs. (no shockers.....yes i know, im a naughty boy! )

Anyway, i have a set of 17's on with the profile 205/40/r17 ..... the tyres themselves are Yokohoma if i remember correctly, and were like new when i purchased them, with a good 5-6mm of tread, at least, evenly worn.

Now i had the wheels on for a good while before i lowered the car, and have probably done around 8-9000 miles max with these wheels on, with probably 5-6,000 of these being with the car being lowered, maybe not even that!!

Now i looked at the tyres last night and was incredibly shocked to find that the inside of the tyres was completly bald, and highly illegal on the front 2 tyres!!!

I did get the tracking done when i got the car lowered (the day after) and they said it was ever so slightly out, but nothing major or worth doing, so i left it.

Now ive been told it could be the camber..... i have searched on this and found i can get something that will allow me to adjust the camber from Regal if im correct..... can someone evaluate on this and tell me what the crack is with it.

I personally thought that these tyres would last longer than 10k to be honest with you all, i mean i know i do a few wheel spins here and there, but nothing daft, and not a regular thing at all!!

Also i looked at the rear tyres and found that one of the tyres on the back was wearing on the inside too, but not on the other rear tyre..... what could this be??? im told it may be a rear bush or axle???? Im no mechanic so im not sure on these things......

Also could someone tell me what my tyre pressure should be with these tyres please....

Many thanks

Adam

P.s please note i had the car serviced a few weeks back and also MOT'd, when which i was told i had to have a track rod end replaced, but the people who fitted it said that they didnt need to re-do the tracking as the way in which they fitted it, they didnt knock the tracking out could this have caused a problem at all??

I can find out the make/model of tyres in the morning if anyone needs this....and also could someone give me a a few names of cheap, very hard wearing tyres for me to purchase.....????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My old Coupe Turbo did this and it wasnt even lowered anymore than standard. It's the camber of the car, mine got to the stage where I could see the innertube of the nearside front tyre... I got a refund off Dunlop for them

Apart from the camber adjustment I dont think theres anything you can do, seems to be a characteristic of the car. I had 4wheel tracking etc and it made no difference. Thankfully the 888 doesnt do it, I dunno why.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had my front toyo tyres replaced last weekend (£176.00) due to inside
    wear, had it back up on the tracking machine and found my camber on
    the n/s was out by 5mm!

Cars lowered 40mm, running 215/40/17's, strut brace and rear anti-roll
    bar.
    Irmscher parts irmscher-bits.com
    ask 4 Dave & mention Darren SXi 1.8 sent u!

Performance Vauxhall Show 'A-S Cleanest Car' 2006

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tyre pressure, i use 35psi on 215/40/17's... 33-35psi should be fine.
    Irmscher parts irmscher-bits.com
    ask 4 Dave & mention Darren SXi 1.8 sent u!

Performance Vauxhall Show 'A-S Cleanest Car' 2006

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So how do i sort the camber out then???

Cheers for the input so far guys!!

Adam

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, well ive investigated further and found that i can get a new tyre fitted/balanced etc for £50..... im not to bothered about performance tyres or anything like that, as im not exactly a rally driver lol, and i am tight arse...

Anyway, went to a garage or two and they all said to adjust the camber i need to take the car to sherwoods to get the 4 point tracking done or whatever it is. So i went to sherwoods and they quoted £45 to do this... is this cheap and is it what i need doing?? bearing in mind normal tracking has been done on the car and no fault has been found....

Also ive just checked the old wheels i put on, and the rear passenger is wearing badly.... what could this be?? ive had the problem on the back since iv had the car, and noticed it first when we took the rear wheels off to lower the back end.... there is no tracking on the back so what could it be...???

Some more help would be greatly appreciated people

Adam

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My old Club 1.6 used to wear the insides of the tyres, but that was probably due to excessive braking (the Mk4 toes out during braking to increase grip).
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    At -60mm your camber is going to be out, well out in fact. Forget Regal as their camber bolts are quite frankly awful. Whiteline do camber bolts and they only cost just less than £30. Demon Tweeks do them IIRC.

Now you can get some adjustment on the existing OE bolts but I very much doubt you'll get enough to get it back to an acceptable level. If the Astra is a hatch it should be set at -1.00, you can go either way by 10% but no more IMO. Fitting camber adjusting bolts is a fairly easy task but to set them up right the shop has to have the right equipment. Have the camber set at either -1.00 or -1.25 which is what mine is on. -1.5 is a track setting but does wear the tyres on the inside edge, -1.25 is a fast road setting and makes a difference to the way the car handles.

Find a good tyre centre which has the right equipment, enquire about camber bolts, Dave Sheldon in Manchester could get camber bolts which looked identical to my Whiteline ones and they were slightly cheaper as well, get the car setup for camber and tracked at the same time. Cost should be around £45-60 depending on the place.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When I first got the coupe and had an oil change at the local tyre centre, I asked a question about the tyres and was told that I will soon find the inner side of the tyres will wear due to the natural camber of the car. And true to that word I have just had to replace the rear tyres for exactly that. They had worn unevenly on the inner side. But the tyres that were on there had lasted 2 years or so before being needed to be replaced, so its not a real serious issue.
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have recently lowered my car -60mm on the front and -40mm on the back with spax springs. (no shockers.....yes i know, im a naughty boy! )
    Thing this is gonna be the route casue of a lot of probelms, if not now, then certainly later on. 60mm is just too much on standard dampers.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast