Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front End Driving Noise - Help Needed!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Front End Driving Noise - Help Needed!!

Have got a horrible annoying noise coming from the front end, its coming from the motion of the wheels turning. Driving along and the noise gets faster with speed and so on, but when I apply full clutch it quietens down, its still there but its fainter noise.

Had a few things which I thought it may be, first was feathering of the tyres, but now find this will be unlikely after talking to someone at a tyre centre this morning, either way anyway the tyres are being replaced midweek. Then thought it may be the discs and pads, perhaps the discs had warped and were catching on the calipers, but doesnt seem like this may be it either.

Have had the car up on a trolley jack and spun the wheels one by one fisrt and the noise wasnt there. But when both wheels were spun at the same time the noise came back. And spun seperately again and it still did it.

It sounds like it is closer to the passenger side, and like some sort of metal knocking/catching on something else as it rotates.

Not sure what it may be, could it be possibly be the driveshaft or maybe gearbox related??
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In addition to all of that, the noise only started after I had swapped there rear and front tyres over. The tyres that were on the rear had worn and feathered on the inner side, I put them on front temporally to find out if the rear wheel bearings had gone. The noise started about a day later after doing the swap. I now have the original front tyres back on the front and the noise is still there. The front tyres have also started to feathered away now and are worn down to the indicator.

Had a quick look in the Haynes manual at the fault finding pages and nothing relates to the noise that I have.
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone possibly know what this may be???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know this might sound silly, but have you checked your wheel nuts?

Other than that it sounds like a gearbox related problem...
    Sold my Astra to buy a house.

Now drive a 205 GTI 2.0 16v

Cheap and Chearfull!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would have thought it was unlikely to be the wheel nuts now, as if I hadn't put them on quite rite last week then they would be put back on correctly when the wheels were swapped over again at the tyre centre.

I'm quite worried that it may be gearbox related too, whatever it is, it is probably going to be expensive knowing my luck!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont wanna seem stupid m8, or tell you how to suck eggs, but have you checked the pads? thats what my noise was, started of on cornering and then progressed to acceleration and speed!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haven't checked the pads for wear or damage. Simply spun the wheel to see if there was any abnormal rubbing between the disc and pads.

The tyre centre is going to look at the brakes on Wednesday when it goes in to have the front rubber replaced, to see if they may be the problem.

Also, when I was spinning the wheels, the noise didnt sound as if it was coming from the pads area, but may have been decieved.

But will check the pads tomorrow night. Just find it really strange how the noise came on AFTER i had swapped the wheels around, unless it is one big conincidence!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm it does sound a little strange to happen after then, but ive heard of bigger coincedences. Hope it is just the pads though m8, cheaper than gearbox or driveshaft!

Another thing, it could possibly be a bearing problem, sounds a bit far fetched to be both though, might be an idea to check make sure theres no vertical movement in the wheels.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well it was the bearings I had thought of first, but have cancelled them out after quick checking, the tyre centre also advised that it wasnt a bearing issue after hearing the noise.

They advised it may be the discs/pads, hence why looking at them on Wednesday!!

I will be taking it up a local recommended garage at lunch tomorrow and see what they have to suggest on the matter with waht I have found so far.

I can almost relate the noise at slow speed to the sound of a washing machine!! However its not getting my washing clean!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy I am truly pissed off now!

Well the car spent the afternoon in the local garage, with the result being that the problem is the differential bearing has gone. So that needs replacing, gearbox overhaul and whilst thats being done the clutch will be replaced as well! Its just my luck. I'm glad I know what it is now, but i'm not!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast