Thread: Insurance Question... Two cars?

Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Insurance Question... Two cars?

IIRC its possible with some insurers to have two cars on one policy?

How does insuring two cars work out financially?

For example, if you own an T8 and a 1.6 LS and insure the T8 then add the LS to the policy, would it reduce the premium as you will be driving a less powerful / expensive car like adding a parent can reduce your premium, or would it increase the premium even though it is a less expensive / powerful car?
    DELETED BY ADMIN -MATG

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure about with cars, but when I've asked about it for motorbikes it seems to put it up slightly as obviously they are insuring 2 vehicles against theft, the second one couldn't be more powerful than the first. Would have only been an extra Ł40 tho so worth an ask.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    When I had 2 cars, (my Calibra 16v and a 1.4 Astra) I had 2 seperate polices. Certain insurance companies would enable me to use the bonus from the Calibra on the second vehicle aswell so I would get the full discount on the second vehicle. I would still then build up the bonus on the second vehicle aswell.
    Now drives : 2002 Astra SRi Turbo in Black
    PREVIOUS ASTRA'S : 1990 GTE 2.0 8v | 1993 1.4 GLS | 1994 1.6 Cesaro | 1995 1.8 16v Sport

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You called...

It depends on the insurer but you can normally only add another car to your policy on a temporary basis. It will work out more expensive (on a pro-rata basis) than getting a seperate policy and of course you wont build up NCB.

Having said that, as Chris says some companies will offer a "second car discout" where they will honour your NCB on the second policy - which is nice.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think Admiral have a new policy which gives a huge discount if you and your partner insure yours cars (1 each I think) on the same policy. Heard of someone saving over Ł300.
    DC5 Honda Integra
    Type-R
    Silver

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy dont get me started on this one.

We bought a second car as the Mrs short journeys in the SRi T were p155ing me off, so I cancelled the insurance on the T and just insured the Mk III we have to run around in. Occasionally though I liked to give the SRi T a run and phoned Vauxhall insurance who seemed happy to insure it as an additional vehicle for a couple of days at a charge of about 6 quid, come to do this last July / August time for car tax purposes and they start asking questions and then would not insure it although happy to do so many time before and take my money.

The jumped up little sh1t of a supervisor then said that who ever was authorising it previously was wrong to do so, and basically would not budge on his ruling. Upshot was I cancelled the Mk III's insurance with them and got 2 seperate policies with Admiral that were cheaper than the old policy I had on the Turbo prior to getting the shed we drive on a daily basis. I think they make their own rules up as it suits, but I had the last laugh in cancelling my policy with Vauxhall Insurance.
    Arden Blue VXR / itg / Full Remus / 259bhp & 262lb ft

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpideyMack
    I think Admiral have a new policy which gives a huge discount if you and your partner insure yours cars (1 each I think) on the same policy. Heard of someone saving over Ł300.
    I got one policy in my name (the wife being a named driver on this) for the SRi T and another policy in the wifes name (with me a named driver on hers) for the shed we drive on a daily basis, Admiral gave my Mrs the same NCD as I currently have (8 years), as she has always been a named driver on my policies before.
    Arden Blue VXR / itg / Full Remus / 259bhp & 262lb ft

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdzP
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy dont get me started on this one.

We bought a second car as the Mrs short journeys in the SRi T were p155ing me off, so I cancelled the insurance on the T and just insured the Mk III we have to run around in. Occasionally though I liked to give the SRi T a run and phoned Vauxhall insurance who seemed happy to insure it as an additional vehicle for a couple of days at a charge of about 6 quid, come to do this last July / August time for car tax purposes and they start asking questions and then would not insure it although happy to do so many time before and take my money.

The jumped up little sh1t of a supervisor then said that who ever was authorising it previously was wrong to do so, and basically would not budge on his ruling. Upshot was I cancelled the Mk III's insurance with them and got 2 seperate policies with Admiral that were cheaper than the old policy I had on the Turbo prior to getting the shed we drive on a daily basis. I think they make their own rules up as it suits, but I had the last laugh in cancelling my policy with Vauxhall Insurance.
    With my insurance I can get temporary cover on another car that I own, but I can only do this for maximum of 2 weeks a time and no more than 6 weeks in any one year. It comes in handy when you are trying to sell a car or have just bought a new one.
    Now drives : 2002 Astra SRi Turbo in Black
    PREVIOUS ASTRA'S : 1990 GTE 2.0 8v | 1993 1.4 GLS | 1994 1.6 Cesaro | 1995 1.8 16v Sport

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Should have pointed out that the last 2 insurers I've been with (Vauxhall Insurance and Norwich Union) have both been very flexible with this - I can add another car for a day, week, month - whatever suits me which as Chris says is great when you are in the middle of changing car etc.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150