Thread: Changed my head unit... now my speakers distort

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Changed my head unit... now my speakers distort

I changed my head unti to an Alpine 9835R a while back as I'd had one before and they're amazing.

Problem is though, my standard speakers distort above volume 17 now and it goes up to 30+. I don't always listen to loud music but at 17 it isn't really too loud... there's just too much bass for the speakers to handle.

I've spent loads on the car lately so can't budget for an amp etc and wondered if upgrading to these would make any difference:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/3522.html
    :: Computer repairs, Upgrades and Sales in the Greater Manchester Area ::

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In answer to that...

Your speakers are distorting because the alpine gives out more ermph (watts rms) which is to much for the speaker to handle. Factory speakers on most cars are only about 30watts. If you read your manual you'll find how to turn the bass settings down, you'll have to do this as without an amp the only way to remove bass notes from speakers is to remove bass settings on headunit. Not perfect but will make the system louder. With the new speakers they'll go up louder (your head unit will go to 35) but you still wont be able to turn the bass settings up as it'll fart on you again. When you rip out your old speakers, chuck some dynamat behind the speaker, will help sound quality no end.

Hope that helps, i'm no expert but i think thats about right.

Cheers, Jang.
    ~Not long now people~

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Jang... so there'd be no point in changing the speakers at all then.

To be honest, the standard ones sound really good so would a 2 channel amp sort my problems if I kept the current speakers?
    :: Computer repairs, Upgrades and Sales in the Greater Manchester Area ::

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ewg_uk
    Thanks Jang... so there'd be no point in changing the speakers at all then.

To be honest, the standard ones sound really good so would a 2 channel amp sort my problems if I kept the current speakers?
    You would see an improvement by changing the standard speakers to aftermarket ones.....yes there's a good chance if you spank your stereo the new speakers will distort, to be honest if your giving it enough welly to make the new ones distort its too loud or you got the bass set up wrong. Try knocking the bass down a bit.

If you amp your current speakers the problem will be 10 times worse as you'll just be feeding them even more power which they will not be able to handle......I'd give it a few days before they completely gave up.

If you want bass and volume then your gonna need a sub. The sub will take care of the low-end which will make it less likely for distortion to occur from the speakers up front because they will only be dealing with the mid and high end frequencies....which is what they're designed for
    LM Audio - Knebworth Herts - 01438 812444

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The filter settings on head unit may be full range u may need to ajust to 80hz also try not to use the "loud " option as the distorsion sound like clipping too much power and no clipping is better than not enough and clipping!
    vxscc shropshire regional organisor

www.talkaudio.co.uk

www.reaudio.com