Thread: A new HID kit has arrived, greater wattage=more light

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A new type HID kit has arrived, greater wattage=more light

Well after finally plucking up the courage to remove the glass from my Gsi Xenon headlight which had got a detached lens inside I have now contacted the seller who supplies me with my HID bulbs. I've already got a H7 HID kit for the main beams but I had to source a set of DS2 (standard xenon bulb size for OE bulbs) which have ballasts etc in order for me to complete the conversion.

Ian the seller from HIDs4U.co.uk has offered me one of only 2 sets of upgraded HIDs which he's bought in to test. The other ones on his car ATM. They are 42w instead of the usual 35w and as such they produce a brighter light for the same K rating. The bulbs offered are 6000K which are themselves upgraded from the normal 4200K bulbs usually fitted to OE lights but which car manufacturers are now fitting as standard.

They are supposed to use the cars existing connectors so no need to adapt the wiring. They are however expensive but he's offered them to me at a cheaper price than the DS2 kit was so that's even better. E-Bay is no good for finding a DS2 HID kit as no one seems to make them as the majority just cater for H7, H4s etc.

Here's a pic of the kit he's just sent me

Won't be able to say what's it's like until I fit the Gsi Xenon headlights and that's proving a little difficult as now I've hit another problem trying to indentify what bulb the indicators use as they aren't the normal type. I think they use a bulb holder as well so I'll need to order those I think. At least I've managed to remove the orange part of the indicator housing when the light was apart but I've now got to do the same to the O/S light and that involves removing the glass from that as well plus I need to fix the 2 top brackets which were broken in the post from Germany.

Some day I'll get these lights fitted, not holding my breath though and it's cost me almost £600 to get to this point including the 2 HID kits.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    HIDs are nice but IMO too expensive, and they blind the f**k out of everyone without them!!!

An old VW camper van followed me the other day, looked like only his sidelights were on!! Don't have a clue how he could see anywhere past his bonnet!

I just buy cheapo bulbs off ebay with coloured tint to them, look much nicer than standard (and a bit brighter), although not as nice as proper HIDs.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got Xenon lookalikes on at the moment, all 4 are 100w ones and are a deep blue but not in operatio where they have the blue halo but white light. They are very bright but don't dazzle as I have my headlight alignment checked at every service.

HIDs shouldn't blind, it's bad alignment which causes most of the problems. If everyone had them checked regularly we wouldn't have a problem with dazzle.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    I've got Xenon lookalikes on at the moment, all 4 are 100w ones and are a deep blue but not in operatio where they have the blue halo but white light. They are very bright but don't dazzle as I have my headlight alignment checked at every service.

HIDs shouldn't blind, it's bad alignment which causes most of the problems. If everyone had them checked regularly we wouldn't have a problem with dazzle.

Did u manage to find a outlet for those bulbs ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Aren't the 100W bulbs illegal? Mine are 55W!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would more people be interested if i could get hold of HID kits for £120 posted? This would still include a years warranty and include everything necessary to fit. Any bulb size or temp rating available.

Matt

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AstraDti16v
    Did u manage to find a outlet for those bulbs ?
    Yes and No. Found all the bulb packages today but no sticker saying who I bought them off. However they have got a website addy on, which is
    http://www.plasmaglow.com/index.asp?cat=146353 that's the bulb section, 10 year warranty as well.

Hope that helps.

Yes 100w are illegal but I've never been stopped regarding them and so long as you keep the headlights well aligned you shouldn't be bothered.

M4TT doubt you'd have DS2 kits would you.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    Yes and No. Found all the bulb packages today but no sticker saying who I bought them off. However they have got a website addy on, which is
    http://www.plasmaglow.com/index.asp?cat=146353 that's the bulb section, 10 year warranty as well.

Hope that helps.

Yes 100w are illegal but I've never been stopped regarding them and so long as you keep the headlights well aligned you shouldn't be bothered.

M4TT doubt you'd have DS2 kits would you.

Will have a look at that

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4TT
    Would more people be interested if i could get hold of HID kits for £120 posted? This would still include a years warranty and include everything necessary to fit. Any bulb size or temp rating available.

Matt
    Yeah in would deffo be interested
    Arden Blue GSI (Now gone)
    White Scooby WRX STI (Now stolen)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not knowing alot about HID kits, if i bought an HID kit, would i be able to plug it straight into my headlamps (angel eye unit)? I take it there would be further wiring associated with the newer light system, but it wouldnt melt away the lens of my units would it? :s

Those lights will be the cherry on the cake once you've sorted those lights oddjob!
    Bass, the final frontier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast