Thread: I'm gonna cry...

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy I'm gonna cry...

one bit of good news is I finally made the final payment on my car today.

BUT...

...one hour later the brakes failed...

Luckily I didn't hit anyone, I was slowing for a roundabout and the brakes didn't feel "normal", just the tiniest bit, but it sent little alarm bells ringing in my head, so I played cautious and took it easy, lucky I did as 2 minutes later when I put my foot on the brakes, the pedal went straight to the floor and f**k all happened. Slowed it thru the gears and pulled off into a petrol station to await RAC help, which was pretty quick this time (only around 15 minutes) as averse to the 4 1/2 hours it took them last time.

It was the same guy who came out to the "shed" (the old mk3 merit) when the head gasket went, was kinda funny as he looked at me and asked if he'd been out to my car before for a head gasket, explained it was the old white astra whose sale paid for the wheels on the new one!

Anyhow the brake master cylinder was f***ed, so it was an intermittent problem, so he followed me to the garage at auckside who do all the work on my cars for me, took it steady, but they can't actually do anything with it until monday, leaving me with nothin but my brother in law's shitsubishi charisma to get to work in.
    Can this week get any worse?

Kirsty

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a PITA, but the part is only about £35 and if I lived close enough, I'd come and fit it for free.
    CRAP SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by MatG
    really liked the UV corsa and I think its a shame it never got finished, and is not just rusting away

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    aw *HUG* simonP!

Will probably cost less than £35 as the scrappy is just round the corner from the garage, and I know for a fact they have a few mk3's in (cos I've scavenged bit from them myself) The lads at the garage are great though, they know I'm not rolling in £££ so they'll use 2nd hand or refurb parts when they can and never overcharge me for work, not to mention they're always fitting my car in ahead of other folks when I'm stuck so I'm not without a car for too long. I love em to bits

Kirsty

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't get master cylinders from a scrapyard. For the price they are new and the cost of fitting them, it really isn't worth wasting your money on an unknown quantity.

I know you're friends with the scrappers, but you can never tell how long a Master cylinder will last from another car. Best to buy new.
    CRAP SIGNATURE

really liked the UV corsa and I think its a shame it never got finished, and is not just rusting away

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok thanks for the advice, will do.

Kirsty

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ohhh a nasty moment no doubt - but it could of been so much worse

Ive got to echo Simon's comment about getting it from a scrappy, unless you enjoy play Russian roulette

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    god glad your ok! if i could help i would, like mr P says buy new safer option as your brakes are vital
    Drives - Phase 2 Astra Mk3 Gsi = 139.56 BHP with 138.81 Torque

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Things like brake servos, master cylinders, brake linings, friction plates, seals, anything like that, just isn't worth buying second hand.
    CRAP SIGNATURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ....I know what it's like to have brakes go. One of my brake lines ruptured on my old Astra V6 as the inlet manifold kept hitting one of the brackets on it. Eventually wore it away until the pressure in the system ruptured the pipe.

Was going down a steep hill at the time. Quite scarey. Managed to nurse it home.
    CRAP SIGNATURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonP
    ....I know what it's like to have brakes go. One of my brake lines ruptured on my old Astra V6 as the inlet manifold kept hitting one of the brackets on it. Eventually wore it away until the pressure in the system ruptured the pipe.

Was going down a steep hill at the time. Quite scarey. Managed to nurse it home.
    mine went on "one" of the astras i had - used a corsa to stop at the vauxhall garage
    Drives - Phase 2 Astra Mk3 Gsi = 139.56 BHP with 138.81 Torque

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast