Thread: New member 1.7CDTI Question

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New member 1.7CDTI Question

Firstly, hi there all - had my first Vauxhall (An 05 Sports Hatch SXI) since Jan this year and generally I'm really happy with it. The only thing that I regret is choosing the 1.7 Diesel engine though, it is really noisy and lacks grunt at anything below 2000rpm.

Coming from a 1999 focus 1.8TDCI I was expecting the newer engine to be quieter and more efficient, although 10 bhp less than the focus. I'm now seriously considering trading my car back in ASAP, I really can't live with the noise this engine makes.

Efficiency wise it's on par with the focus delivering around 500 miles on a tank, which as I do 50 miles per day to work is a fair saving.

I've had my local dealer (where I purchased it) check it out and they have told me that the noise is normal for the engine. I just wondered if you guys could confirm this?

I'll try to explain the noise, it's fairly quiet and throaty as you start to put your foot down, but as soon as you start pushing it beyond a gentle acceleration it starts to make a really high pitched rattling, which just gets louder and louder the more you push it.

Anyway - thanks for any responces and I've been enjoying reading the forums over the last week or so since finding them.

And here's a pic of my car just after I fitted some 18" Sri Wheels to it last week (Was clean before driving to work that day!).

Paul.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi and welcome to the site.

not sure on the noise sorry but im sure someone will know, but the car looks great

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not really familiar with the 1.7CDTi engine, but I have read that the sound insulation isn't all that good on the Astra diesels. My wife is test driving a 1.9 CDTi Sport Hatch today, so I'll get back to you on how loud it is. I drive a 1.9 Veccy, so comparing noise levels should be pretty easy.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    hi and welcome to AstraSport

First of all a lovely looking car you have! Sorry to hear you are not 100% happy with it however I am sure some of the other members can help you determine if its the engines normal characteristics or there is indeed something wrong with it.

If you would like a little more pace have you looked at these:

http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50886

they seem to be providing great results and it maybe enough for you to get that bit more out of the car and then enjoy it
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 1.7 is pretty rubbish to be honest - the 1.3 and 1.9 diesels are considerably quieter and more refined.

Low end grunt is something the smaller diesels don't have. My old school 2 litre diesel will nearly snap your neck off at 1500rpm when it comes on boost.

If I were you I'd take a test drive in a 1.9CDTi - I think you'll be surprised how much better it is than the 1.7.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I drove a 1.9 a couple of weeks ago, and was impressed at how quick it was.

btwe nice pic another colour to choose from that blue looks nice!
    Astra 1.9CDTi SRI (150) Sport Hatch
    A few mods happening soon...

SXi Stu
    yeh reckon you should upgrade to the 1.9, go on you know you want to lol. Getting back to the point of the thread..........yes I have also heard that the 1.7 isn't as smooth sounding as the other diesals in the range (not sure why)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the 1.7 CDTI is a 16V common rail derivative of the old Isuzu engine used from 1990.
    Doesn't go too badly in a Corsa/Meriva.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

I would have liked a 1.9 CDTI but they were out of my budget this time around, my choice was between a petrol Sxi / Sri or the diesel Sxi which tended to be around £1000 more than the petrol equivalent.

Still get a big grin on my face when I see it though, so maybe I'll drop the economy next time in favour of increased grin factor when driving

cheers

Paul.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    the 1.9cdti is a lot nicer if you can find one go for one of them mate and spend £500 on a 200bhp remap from 888

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast