Thread: Tips and advice on fitting suspension

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tips and advice on fitting suspension

Just a quick question (off to work now so I look forward to reading the replies later tonight lol)

Ive got my hands on a full suspension kit 40/35 for my Mk4 5dr and after some searching about for sum1 to fit it - it looks like I may be attempting it myself !!!
    Just been speakin to Richie (our wonderful R.O ) and he's given me sum pointers but just wanna know any more tips and advice and how to go about changing this setup.
    I've got a Haynes bible so will look in there for sum advice but think I'll maybe make a start on it tomorrow (Sat) weather permitting.

Failing that....Any1 local (North East) wanna help me out??? I'll make it worth ur while £££££ lol

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did my springs last week, here are my tips:

buy the correct tools for the job!
    a deep socket 18mm spanner is a must! and so is a decent set of spring compressers, you will need also need a breaker bar as the nuts and bolts are chuffing tight!
    make sure you use plenty of threadlock on the bolts,
    and make sure you do the bolts up to the correct torque using a torque wrench - over tightening them can be just as dangerous as not doing them up enough!

erm, before undoing the spring compressers, tie the spring down with some decent rope as a precaution incase the compressors break/slip etc. a coil spring in the face will hurt! I tied mine to the work bench.

The rears are easy, do one side at a time.

last thing, I know its a bit girly but use something soft to kneel/sit on, other wise your knees will be dead by the end of it!

on the ARB drop link use a 19mm open ended spanner to hold the flats on hte back and then use an 18mm socket or spanner to undo the nut.

If you were this end of the country (West London) i'd gladly helped ya!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the information but tbh dont think its worth the hassle of me attemptin it when I can get so called pros to do it for £50 or so. Was just gonna do it myself in time for the A/S meet next Sunday but think I'll keep the 4x4 look for now . Thanks a million for the reply at least I now know its really a job for the pros.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its not too hard to be honest, Its jsut a job that requires a good set of tools and someone thats done it before, otherwise it will take a while!

If you fancy a trip to Harrogate I'd be able to give you a hand!
    Sold my Astra to buy a house.

Now drive a 205 GTI 2.0 16v

Cheap and Chearfull!