Thread: Where do I start?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Where do I start?

I'm not planning to tune the nuts off my coupe.. not at this stage anyway. I'm just looking for a bit more power and more importantly to make it a bit more smooth throughout the rev range as there seems to be flat spots at the moment.

Funds are limited, I have done the derestricted box, vectra air intake and panel filter. Would the pre cat mod (and possibly exhaust) be a good first option? I might not do anthing else to the engine for a good while so want to invest my money wisely and a remap doesn't sound like a good idea for starting off from what I've read.

Should the pre-cat help to smooth out the curves a bit? Also, does it make the car much more noisy?

Thanks for any help, I'm still getting to grips with turbo ownership.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    your attitude was the same as mine - i indeed was maybe just have a remap - but one thing has led to another over the last 2.5 months and im about ready for a cs3

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Me thinks your on right lines, I would go for the precat and exhaust too first too, as for the flat spots, my 'marmite' mod -----> Ecotek CB26 valve, really helped on my car (2.0 16v Sri) but as has been covered before, people either love these valves or they don't.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would go with a precat then the astra H hard pipe to replace the rubbish rubber one, or a proper power pipe. Think that and an oil change are the best things you can do for limited funds !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordNikon
    I would go with a precat then the astra H hard pipe to replace the rubbish rubber one, or a proper power pipe. Think that and an oil change are the best things you can do for limited funds !
    Never thought about the power pipe, theres an idea. Does the Astra H one do pretty much the same job as a power pipe from Courtenay/Regal then? And do we have a part number and price for it?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am not sure mate, IMO it doesn't look as nice, but its OEM and if thats the look u want then go for it. I know MattS put some details up, could be worth a search'aroo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    go for the pre cat, exhaust and cooler plugs oh and that H pipe like mines
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I seem to notice the flat spots now that the air box is derestricted and the air intake is changed or its made it worse.. for some reason. I'm hoping the precat will smooth things out.

Really should get it on the RR to see whats what I think.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im pretty much in the same boat as you, when it comes to funds. From what iv learnt, i think the best way is to mod hardware, and then software. to me it just makes more sense that way..
    "Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself"

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would defo get the precat done as the price as fallen now, i found it made a differance higher up the rev range seemed to pull stronger and smoother
    Astra Gsi Turbo... With a few choice mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast