Thread: A new record - rusty arches at 37 months!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A new record - rusty arches at 37 months!

While washing the car a few months ago, I noticed some of the paint peeling off the rear arches.

So, over the weekend I got the car up on stands, and got under there with the power washer. All cleaned, then moved the car into the garage to dry. Once dried, got in under there with the Dinitrol and got everything nicely waxed.

I'd just like to thank Opel for the totally useless job of undersealing they did:

-The area round the rear shock mount is not only not undersealed - it isn't even painted! Bare galvanised metal.
    -The stupid plastic cover over the hole into the sills are flapping in the wind, holding enough soil and stones to grow a small potato plant. So, that was all removed, cleaned and Dinitrol'ed.
    -The loose paint was removed round the arch, masked and painted with a thick covering of wax until the summer when I can prepare it properly for spraying.
    -Wheel tub at the back is also down to bare metal just from the crap hitting it from the wheel. That was also roughly cleaned and waxed to stop it rusting any more until the summer.

There wasn't any rust on my old Vauxhall built Mk4 after 5 years, yet this Opel built one is rusty in several places after just 37 months. Not happy.

Spoke to Vauxhall about it - paint is a 1 year warranty, and the rust warranty only applies when it goes into a hole. Whoopie!

No pics, as I didn't have my camera with me when I was down at my folk's house doing the work. Sorry.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very worrying but what do you expect from vaux/opel all these cars do is rust and the fact yours is a opel means its prob built for mainland Europe so not protected as much from the rain. How come you have a opel did you import it?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a Vauxhall, it was just built by Opel. Mk4s are either built by Vauxhall in Ellesmere Port, or by Opel in some Krautland factory. You can tell the difference by the body plate.

As for your comment about Vauxhalls being rusty, I'd have to disagree with you on that one. In the last 10 years they really have made rust-free cars. Work has two Corsas, both of which have had little maintainance as far as bodywork goes, one is 8 and one is 10 - both are totally rust free. My old Mk4 was 5 when it was sold, rust free.

Out of 4 Vauxhalls I've owned, and maybe another 6 or so I'm in regular contact with, only two have had any rust - one was a now long deceased 1983 Chevette, and this 2003 Astra.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If its only 37 months old cant you take it back for its corrosion warrnty?

Going into a hole is rubbish.

I had a bubble of rust sorted on my sister Vectra a few years ago under warranty.

Ask to speak to someone higher than the guy you spoke to and if still no luck ask for Vauxhall customer service's number

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

talking of paint peeling etc my car is a 2002 reg still has network Q waranty and one of the standard sxi alloy wheels paint is just flaking off?

is this covered anyone???

cheers

anyone know if it is covered or not reply here or pm me etc cheers
    Astra sxi - 1.6 16v 2002

January 2007 - im gonna buy me a sri-Turbo!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dave
    talking of paint peeling etc my car is a 2002 reg still has network Q waranty and one of the standard sxi alloy wheels paint is just flaking off?

is this covered anyone???

cheers

anyone know if it is covered or not reply here or pm me etc cheers
    Basically Mate No it wont be covered, went in to see about Pitting on my alloys ytesterday and the wheels are the same as paintwork and only covered for the first year of warrenty

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS
    It's a Vauxhall, it was just built by Opel. Mk4s are either built by Vauxhall in Ellesmere Port, or by Opel in some Krautland factory. OR BERTONE IN ITALY
    Though your rust situation is shocking and for them to say it has to be a hole, id be tempted to make a hole
    Corsa VXR in Glacier White

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, the rust should be halted in it's tracks now. Thinking more about it, I'm not too fussed as I doubt I'll have the car long enough for the rust to do much damage. I tend to change every 18-24 months anyway.