Thread: help needed eml light!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry help needed eml light!

Help needed, my 99 1.8 sports engine management light comes on only when the car is standing still for more than 10 mins and then starts to misfire. Just over a year ago had a new ECU which was £££’s as some of you might know, took it to the dealers 2 weeks ago and they said it was lambda sensor (new one fitted by myself 6months ago). Took it to dealers on Friday to have the part fitted (£193) got into car let it idle for a bit then light came back on. According to the mechanic who fitted it he said it still wasn’t right and told reception, obviously forgot to tell me and still charged me the £193.
    Does anyone know what could be wrong or have had the same problem?
    Do Vauxhall mechanics know what they are doing? And am I being shafted?
    Thank you for your input.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the car starts to misfire, it sounds like a spark plug or ht leads could be breaking down due to heat. Have you replaced them recently?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    changed spark plugs bout 4 months ago, and its got one of them coil packs on. if it was one of the above would it not show up on a tech 2?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds like it could be the coil pack, as it heats up I've known them to suddenly have a large increase in resistance and that stops the spark from travelling down to the plug or makes the spark so weak the car misfires. Heat is a known issue with coil packs breaking down, idling for a long period could be whats causing it. Does it do it when it's in motion?

Also some indication of engine size. type eg Z16, Z22 etc would help to isolate the problem or could get you offers of cheap parts if they have them.

Coil packs don't always show up on the tech2 tests. They do sometimes trip the EML though.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had the same problem but the tech 2 showed the coilpack was gone, new one sorted it straight off, which i fitted myself, dont pay vaux the £180 they wanted to charge me for fitting it, even thou it only took me 3 mins, (missus timed me!!!)

if its a throttle cable which im guessing it is, the the paper clip method will work for you when the EM light is on, im sure someone will enlighten you on this method!!

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just in case, I have 2 coil packs available. One brand new one still in manufacturers box for the 1.6 engine and one fairly new for the 1.8 although TBH I've just sourced this and as yet haven't tested it. As my own engine is a 1.8 I intend to run the pack on my engine for a few weeks to test it.

Don't buy a new one unless no one on here can help you. Coil packs are damned expensive from Vx.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    It sounds like it could be the coil pack, as it heats up I've known them to suddenly have a large increase in resistance and that stops the spark from travelling down to the plug or makes the spark so weak the car misfires. Heat is a known issue with coil packs breaking down, idling for a long period could be whats causing it. Does it do it when it's in motion?

Also some indication of engine size. type eg Z16, Z22 etc would help to isolate the problem or could get you offers of cheap parts if they have them.

Coil packs don't always show up on the tech2 tests. They do sometimes trip the EML though.
    no its ok when the car is in motion, just seems to be when the car is standing ticking over. the cars a 1.8 16v sport so would that be a Z18?
    only reason the whole thing was brought up was it faile the mot on the emissons. cheers for any help

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pardoe16V
    i had the same problem but the tech 2 showed the coilpack was gone, new one sorted it straight off, which i fitted myself, dont pay vaux the £180 they wanted to charge me for fitting it, even thou it only took me 3 mins, (missus timed me!!!)

if its a throttle cable which im guessing it is, the the paper clip method will work for you when the EM light is on, im sure someone will enlighten you on this method!!
    thats interesting mate, (throttle cable) do you know the clip that holds the cable in place which can be adjusted, would that make a difference if i moved the clip?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First off if it's a throttle cable 1.8 then it's the X18XE1 engine.

Secondly the paper clip method is to get the EM system to tell you the fault it has stored, well I think it is. Doesn't work on my 1.8 as that's a Z18XE.

Only reason I can think of that would cause the coil pack to affect the emmison levels is if the spark wasn't good enough to ignite the fuel mixture sufficiently.

Cheapest I've seen a 1.8 coil pack is around £90, they're about £180 from Vx.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

just found out that it is the X18XE, just need this sorted out for mot, failed on discs and emissions(EXHAUST EMISSONS LAMBDA READING AFTER 2ND FAST IDLE OUTSIDE SPECIFIED LIMITS) whatever that means. see vaux keep saying its the lambda sensor, could it be the recently fitted ecu?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast