Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So...... is the VXR better than the Focus ST?? Really???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So...... is the VXR better than the Focus ST?? Really???

Still awaiting my test drive in the good old VXR (10 days now!!)
    Its due in this week i have been told.
    But while i was there i drove past the Ford (i know its a swear word!!) dealers, low and behold.. a demonstrator. Focus ST.
    So, i wandered in, asked about a test drive. Booked it for 3pm today. Took it for about 15-20 mile blast on some dual carriageways, twisty back roads and was pleasantly surprised.
    As much as i don't wish to own a ford, i must say i'm contemplating the Focus.
    So, everyone, please, put me straight... will the VXR win the day??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Everything I've read says the ST is the better car, it looks the better car in my opinion and it has boost gauges as standard and a small red light that illuminates the gearlever when its dark!
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont think theres a great deal between the two really, a lot of it will come down to personal preferances.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They are both great cars. Just comes down to which one you preffer.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Someone i knows mate had a run in his mates new focus st with about 1000 miles on the clock and said performance wise he didnt think it felt very quick or entertaining and his little saxo can sit with it until bout 90mph. Few days later he ended up behind me coming home(not that I even realised he was there or trying), came thru bridge round a right hander then saw the clear road and pulled out in 3rd and went out passed the two cars infront, i did at this point notice a little car comin out to pass them too but never thought nothing of it. Turns out he spotted me and was playin to make me go for it and i never noticed but when i pulled out i dissappeared completly from him and he could not believe his eyes. The messaged passed to me was dont waste your petrol when i meet the guy in his ST.

Now thats not my opinion just as i heard it so no idea, my car is at 1600 miles now so quite even on that front.

No idea wat the drive is like tho.

Look wise the VXR is the one to have
    Astra VXR - 1st RIP - Black, 19"s, Climate, Cruise n Full Milltek
    The Black one
    http://www.mrmike.toucansurf.com/TheBlackOne/
    Blue RIP
    http://www.mrmike.toucansurf.com/TheAff/

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Scott
    Everything I've read says the ST is the better car, it looks the better car in my opinion and it has boost gauges as standard and a small red light that illuminates the gearlever when its dark!
    SOLD....... the red light made all the difference!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    focus st is awsome 2 major issues i have are he seats are two damn big and ugly and the bloody takcy cheap metal st badge they have on the side of the car the metal looks like somones earosoled it ans its flaking but as of the drive much better than the vzr and faster and i doubt even a turbod saxo could keep up with it, my focus rs would leave any saxo for dust and the st was fater than mine oh thats another bad point its faster than my rs :-(
    Inspired Automotive Detailing and Valeting - Concours Approved
    www.inspired-automotive.co.uk

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboCoupe2002
    Someone i knows mate had a run in his mates new focus st with about 1000 miles on the clock and said performance wise he didnt think it felt very quick or entertaining and his little saxo can sit with it until bout 90mph. Few days later he ended up behind me coming home(not that I even realised he was there or trying), came thru bridge round a right hander then saw the clear road and pulled out in 3rd and went out passed the two cars infront, i did at this point notice a little car comin out to pass them too but never thought nothing of it. Turns out he spotted me and was playin to make me go for it and i never noticed but when i pulled out i dissappeared completly from him and he could not believe his eyes. The messaged passed to me was dont waste your petrol when i meet the guy in his ST.

Now thats not my opinion just as i heard it so no idea, my car is at 1600 miles now so quite even on that front.

No idea wat the drive is like tho.

Look wise the VXR is the one to have
    Have to agree here, I have had similar experiences on the road with STs. I have driven the ST and agree it is a good car, but it is just to tame, it has the power, it probably has the ability, but it lacks the bollock wrenching aggression offered by the VXR. Modifications to the VXR costing about £1600 will give you 292BHP to achieve this in the focus at the moment is just not possible, modifications may not interest you, buy the VXR, modifications will interest you then !

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    chassis is far superior on the focus, i prefer the looks too, but that is a personal thing. The interior on the VXr is nicer, certainly the seats are imo, so i would take them out of the vxr and stick it in the focus

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here is a quote from a Focus ST forum

I'm looking to change my Civic Type R at the moment and have so far been for a test drive in a Focus ST, an '06 WRX and an Astra VXR. The ST was nice, well put together, but lacked excitement and actually felt slower than my Type R despite having more power (as soon as the test drive was over we went round the same route with the Type R). We liked the interior, loved the orange paint, but were just let down by the drabness of the drive. This morning we went out in a '06 WRX, which was a lot faster than the Type R, but looked like a taxi from the 80's on the inside. We had a look at the STI version - for £20k why can't they fit the interior from that into the WRX? Straight after being at Subaru we went round to the Vauxhall dealer. The bloke there was bragging about how the Astra was loads quicker than the WRX, and I thought he was probably talking rubbish. However, after being out in the VXR it certainly seemed faster to us. It probably has a higher 0-60 time than the WRX because it hasn't 4WD, but on the move it was unnervingly quick. When we got back in the Civic it was like when I borrow my girlfriend's Fiesta! My only doubt now is whether or not to wait to see what the '06 Type R is like. However, without it being fitted with a turbo I can't see it having the drivability of a turbo'd car like the ST or the VXR because you have to rev the nuts off it to get it really going.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast