Thread: Oil leak

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oil leak

Whilst trying to remove and replace my air intake pipe, I discovered a small oil leak at the front of the engine.

Does any one know why there would be an oil leak here and what should I do to fix it?

its a ze22 engine

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That not actually a leak - it's just crud from the crankcase breather (which vents into the inlet pipe) dribbling down the join between the pipe and the throttle body. It's sort of normal and nothing to worry about

Take it off and give it a good clean out with carb cleanr and a rag (take care around the MAP sensor), and while your in that area, whip off the throttle body (4 x10mm bolts) and clean that as well. When you refit, make sure that the jubilee is a tight fit - but not too tights as the TB is alloy and can crack

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Geoff... you're a vxl god!
    how does the 'crud' get there? is it something that im doing wrong? The last service was about 4,000 miles ago and I'll prob do an oil-filter change next month.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not a god!! - I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time .

The breather pipe vents all the hot gases (oil vapour, steam and other nasties) from the crankcase back through the inlet to be burnt, rather than deposit them on the road.

Once the hit the cooler air in the inlet they condense and some returns to liquid/solid and collects on the side of the pipe, and this builds up over time.

It's perfectly normal for this to happen, and isn't on any service official schedule (like a few other bits). At least you were 'lucky' to have a tell tale dribble, so you can deal with it before it gets too bad and affect the running of the car