Thread: Son of a Mofa Power cap! Electric shock :(

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Son of a Mofa Power cap! Electric shock :(

Now that was stupid i here you say.. Damn right it was! thought i could be ****y and leave it charged to remove it.. i want rid of my ice for now.

I don't have a powerful resistor upto the job of discharging it.. Anyone got a tip to get the sting out of its tail? I got an In Phase one.. 0 gauge going into it.. nice big plugs on the top.. major hard to miss with them fingers of mine..

on the plus side, it dropped 6v when it shocked me

Meh, anyone any idea's pleasey?

Jang.

Running Alpine headunit.. so linked straight to battery.. so can't try the old skool 'run power without connected to remove whats left' like you would with a power unit from a computer.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just disconnect it, can't hold much more charge than your battery can it. Just be sure not to cross the connections and electricute yourself again. Im sure that it will naturally discharge anyway when nothing is pulling current through it, ie stereo on. At the end of the day its just a massive capacitor isn't it and they discharge normally.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just left my one and it did naturally discharge, left it for about 2 days, but im sure it discharged alot quicker than that, does it have a digital display? if it does then it makes it alot easier, just leave it overnight and check the voltage in the morning!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the capacitors leak....

if you disconnect it and leave it it will lose it's charge of it's own accord given some time
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    iirc from a level physics you can discharge a capacitor instantly just by connecting the two terminals of the capacitor with a wire.
    Patience is a virtue.....but if you're that desperate I guess you'll have to pee your pants!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astral
    iirc from a level physics you can discharge a capacitor instantly just by connecting the two terminals of the capacitor with a wire.
    that isn't really a good idea now is it.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    deffinatly do not do this.

the best way to discharge the cap is to disconnct the live feed and leave the earth strap connected.

this will enable the charge to leak away.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A5TRA 59ORT
    deffinatly do not do this.

the best way to discharge the cap is to disconnct the live feed and leave the earth strap connected.

this will enable the charge to leak away.

the charge will actually leak either way.... but yes it's usually safer to leave something earthed
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OMG! please dont say you actually thought this was the right way to discharge capacitors! If they teach you this in A level physics then no offense but they teacher needs to be sacked or shot! If you use this method your risking quite abit!
    1. Huge likely hood of explosion - if you dnt believe me try a very small value elctrolytic capacitor, charge it up then connect both ends together, but stand back a little! You will hear and feel a rather large bang! This is how i was taught about what happens!
    2. Using cable the capactior will dump all its current through the short circuit, super heating the cable.
    Never a good idea!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My power cap has a sorta 'sleep' mode if you like.. So after about 30 seconds of use the voltage metre turns off..

Question is.. to just 'disconnect' it and take it out i have to touch both the wires.. Metal fittings.. Allen key = 'buzzzzzz' (OUCH YOU SON OF A.. ahem)

Plus i got a distribution block and stuff.. again all metal fittings, let me get a pic of it..

Bit hard to see the terminals there.. and it doesn't show the big plugs that go on them..

Call me a woossy.. but i dunno if i wanna go touching the wires again.. As i'm not particually favouring that shock again...

Cheers from a rather shocked Jang.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast