Thread: What should i do?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What should i do?

I plan on getting a mk4 1.8 sxi this november. I will have just over £5000 saved up which will be enough for a good car. I currently have a mk3 astra which i paid £680 for. Ive just been told all the springs, shocks, and orbs are on their way out, and so is the cambelt. My MOT is this june.
    The car wont pass the MOT with its current bad suspension, however if i scrap it and buy a cheap car i doubt i'll be able to afford the mk4 in November (i really want it by then so i can show it off in front of family at xmas hehe).
    My dad who has no mechanical skills, has said that this easter hols me and him can replace the suspension as a little project. How hard is it to replace the suspension and how costly will it be? If i can get the car to pass this MOT i can then keep it until November and thus afford this mk4.

Why do things never go as planned
    Black Sapphire Astra Mk 4 2.2 SRi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get some second hand shocks and springs just to get thru the mot mate, im sure there is someone near you willing to help you change the suspension over, easy job, then in novemeber sell the car

how many miles has the car done on the current cambelt???

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Changing the shocks on the front of a MK3 is a right ball-ache - you need to...

remove the caliper
    remove the hub nut (very tight),
    split the taper on the bottom steering swivel,
    undo the anti-roll bar drop links (these will break anyway so get new ones)

and the your faced with the strut...
    after you've got the spring off, you then have to deal with the tightest nut in the universe to get the inset out.

and puting it all back together again is almost as bad - especially when you getto the hub nut which needs to be tightened in a specific manner.

It's not really a job for a complete beginner, having done this numerous times

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    imo its a simple job, after all its only a spanner!!!! just time consuming, best to get someone whos got experience, and preferably experience with a mk3 to overlook it, if you were near me i would offer to do it for you!!!!

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you ever done a MK3 front end?

Status
    It only takes a minute
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when we went to lower my mk3 we gave up because it was such a pain...
    Like Geoff says the insert aint coming out!!! We spend about 3 hours trying to do one side before giving up...
    It was heated up and everything?! Theres a few people round this area that might be able to do it for you m8...
    Go for a set of springs n shocks off flea bay for bout £200 and then Ian Timberlake (in thame) will fit them for about £100 .... Just one more option to look into if ur deff want it road worth again....
    Astra Mk4 GSi in Ardon BLUE
    "HAS IT GOT BOOST"

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was thinking 2nd hand too. And i was also a bit pessamistic about the idea of me and my dad fitting it ourselves. It didnt sound an easy task and sounds harder now uve told me what it involves.
    As for the cambelt...the previous owner (a mechanic) told me he replaced the cambelt just before i bought it, and ive only done 3000 miles in it. However if its going out either he didnt fit it properly, or he lied to me.
    Black Sapphire Astra Mk 4 2.2 SRi

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you can get the complete front leg off another car, then it's much much easier.

But you still need to tackle the caliper, hub/driveshft nut (there must be renewed), the lower stering swivel, steering arm and antiroll bar drop link (which will break if you go near them with a spanner).

If you've got a decent tool set, jack and axel stands already, the only special tools you'll need are a ball joint seperator and torqure wrench - and of course a Haynes manual to hold your hand while you do it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg
    Have you ever done a MK3 front end?
    serveral times, unless the estate version is different to a hatch???

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Then you'll know it's not any easy job then, especially for a beginner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast