Thread: 20DTH MK4 Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

20DTH MK4 Estate

Looking into getting a Diesel MK4 estate, as there's no fast version, going for economy (may swap a 22DTH into it)

From what I can work out they started as CD spec in '99, then from LS upwards from '00.

I'm used to CDX spec, so guessing I'll be after a CD minimum, or Comfort/elegance, if they come down a bit in price.

anyone got any of these models?

Any issues/bonuses.

I know they have reach adjustable steering, which is a big bonus over the MK3, and Cav/Vectra.

How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site.

I'm a little confused when you say "no fast version". Do you mean something like SXi/SRi, or do you mean the Y20DTH powered estate is slow?

The 2.0DTi is certainly fast enough to lose your licence in a short amount of time. I've done a run on foreign soil at 100mph minimum, 120mph maximum, and got 38mpg out of it with 2 passengers and luggage.

All the Astra specs are in the brochure archive at http://www.vmproductforum.co.uk/cate...prd=15&cat=228
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Comfort x4 leccy windows, wood trim, 15" alloys. No fog lights, but loom is in th car. We have 2 comfort dti's both 5 door hatches. Common problems airflow meters, rear brakes binding. Quite a few bad ones about though, rare to see mint ones

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS
    Welcome to the site.

I'm a little confused when you say "no fast version". Do you mean something like SXi/SRi, or do you mean the Y20DTH powered estate is slow?

The 2.0DTi is certainly fast enough to lose your licence in a short amount of time. I've done a run on foreign soil at 100mph minimum, 120mph maximum, and got 38mpg out of it with 2 passengers and luggage.

All the Astra specs are in the brochure archive at http://www.vmproductforum.co.uk/cate...prd=15&cat=228

I've got a few Astra Brochures, although not covering the comfort.

My Current slowest car is a chipped 2.0 CDX 140 Estate (MK3), and I'd like something quicker (8.5 to 60) or similar but more economical (30mpg).
    the 2.2 Elegance is about the same performance, but the current price, and the Timing Chain issues, put me off.
    And they don't do a 20LET Estate, unfortunatley

the 2.2 DTI Vectra is almost a performer, but I'm after the reach adjustable steering column (long legs, short arms), that they don't have.

a 2.2 DTI Astra Estate would be perfect, but they only do them in Opel format.

After owners opinions really, as you can't tell much from a 20 minute test drive.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AstraDti16v
    Comfort x4 leccy windows, wood trim, 15" alloys. No fog lights, but loom is in th car. We have 2 comfort dti's both 5 door hatches. Common problems airflow meters, rear brakes binding. Quite a few bad ones about though, rare to see mint ones

4x E windows is interesting, the MK3 CDX didn't get that as standard (Option from 1997)

What's the difference between Comfort and Elegance? Do they have sunroofs? (Reduced headroom )

ta.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Comfort and Elegance, Elegance is one up. Sunroofs were a factory option, but a/c is standard. Think Elegance has electric climate control (1.8s) and different alloys and also foglights.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AstraDti16v
    Comfort and Elegance, Elegance is one up. Sunroofs were a factory option, but a/c is standard. Think Elegance has electric climate control (1.8s) and different alloys and also foglights.
    2.2 elegance is the only G with Climate.
    16" I think rather than 15" on comfort?
    Fog lights woohoo.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2.0DTi is pretty much identical to the 1.6 16v on the road, though the diesel may be better for overtaking.

If you're looking chipped XE sort of performance out of any of the Mk4 diesels, you're going to be disappointed unless you've big brass ones and do what may be the first Y22DT conversion into a right-hooker, and then get it remapped to 150hp+

The 2.2 16v timing chain really isn't much of an issue - only a small number of engines had the problem, it's easy to check, and if you do have the faulty oiler then Vauxhall will replace.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best to test drive to be honest and go from there.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS
    2.0DTi is pretty much identical to the 1.6 16v on the road, though the diesel may be better for overtaking.

If you're looking chipped XE sort of performance out of any of the Mk4 diesels, you're going to be disappointed unless you've big brass ones and do what may be the first Y22DT conversion into a right-hooker, and then get it remapped to 150hp+

The 2.2 16v timing chain really isn't much of an issue - only a small number of engines had the problem, it's easy to check, and if you do have the faulty oiler then Vauxhall will replace.
    It's not an Xe it's a Factory Ecotec 2.0.

XE's are far too noisy. (had one in the MK2)

I know the GM Diesels are slower, can't stretch to an Audi A4 2.5 TDI, although I'd love one.

As for the 2.2, I know of dozens of people on the variosu forums, who've had the chain issue, some have had vauxhall, sort it free of charge, others, 1/2 the bill paid, and others no help at all.

Friend of mine has converted a 20DTL Vec to 20DTL, and now to 22DTH.
    Seems fairly straightforward, apart from the anomalous immobiliser/diag wiring, and the monster F35 gearbox and shafts.

thanks for the comments.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast