thought Id post up a quick update on the MK3;s progress.
things have been a bit stationary for the last week or so as we were waiting on the new inner arch panels arriving. Ive also not had much time between being down south lastweekend and having to spend time on the MK4 Coupe.
as the panles arrived in mid week I thought it was time I got into it as the petrol tank had to be removed before the guys could start cutting and welding in the new panels. So last night I started on removing the tank. As I hadnt had the tank of an MK3 before it was a bit of a learning experience, got most of the petrol pipes undone,and managed to undo the centre section of the exhaust. Left it at that for the night.
Tonight I managed to remove the tank and also the exhaust (eventually) revealing a minty fresh floor underneath. However it did reveal the petrol tank was pretty rotten (no biggy), but the state of the rear brake pipes was quite honestly frightening.
Once this had been completed, my mate ( and chief wiring technician on project astra, Colin) arrived, where upn he was left to strip the tank before carrying on to help me strip part of the engine bay. As there were signs of rust on the passengers strut turret I decided to strip as much out of that area as possible, however a quick poke with a screw driver revealed the area was a bit worse than first expected and it will need some plating in that area, but again not a drastic amount. so now the engine bay has been releived of the raditor and fan, airbox, battery, coil pcack, and all wiring on that side of the engine bay.
Hopefully tomorow the work will start on the new panels and from there it shouldnt be too long before she gets a nice fresh coat of paint.
Whilst talking with my mate tonight and going through everything on the car we think that given another year or so this particular GSi would have been destined for the scrappers pile, I dont see it having gone through it next MOTwithout a large list that would have made it uneconomical to repair.