Thread: My Astra failed its MOT today.......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

My Astra failed its MOT today.......

Looks like I have just a few parts to buy now.

This is what it failed on:-

• Nearside front suspension arm synthetic bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement
    • Offside rear brake binding
    • Offside rear brake pipe excessively corroded
    • Offside rear brake hose ferrule excessively corroded
    • Nearside rear brake pad less that 1.5mm thick
    • Registration plate lamp bulb not working

And there were advisory items:-

• Both front top suspension bushes starting to split
    • Front brake discs showing signs of wear
    • Nearside rear brake pipe corroded
    • Nearside rear brake hose ferrule corroded

What is worse is that you can already check the car out on the internet at www.motinfo.gov.uk and it is on there as a failure.

So, i cannot really drive it for work with all these cameras everywhere that check the car is insured, MOT'd and taxed. I will probably get fined or something.

The annoying thing is that I had a mobile mechanic come out and fit a new handbrake cable on Thursday, but he obviously did not adjust the handbrake correctly. I also checked the number plate light bulb during the week and bought a bulb from Halfords and changed it. I checked it when I got back home and it has already blown, so it lasted all of 3 days / 10 miles!!
    Now drives : 2002 Astra SRi Turbo in Black
    PREVIOUS ASTRA'S : 1990 GTE 2.0 8v | 1993 1.4 GLS | 1994 1.6 Cesaro | 1995 1.8 16v Sport

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh dear mate, how long have you got left on your existing MOT before it runs out?

If I was you, I'd shell out the dosh now and get all the brakes sorted, new discs, pads and pipes all round.

As for the wishbone bushes, get some poly ones and replace both sides while your at. same goes for the top suspension bushes.

Check for a dodgy wire on the number plate bulb.

Sorting that should take a weekend, but it'll be worth it! Car will not onlt stop better but it will also handle better too!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like that was an MOT worth doing mate, some quite vital bits at the end of their life. Pain in @ss I know but worth knowing IMO

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The MOT ran out last weekend.

I am going to get my lowering springs fitted at the same time aswell, I am making a few enquiries and getting everything done including the advisory notices aswell. I have a figure of around £300 for everything to be sorted.

It wont be at the SE meet tomorrow, so I will be in Trudy's Astra instead.
    PREVIOUS ASTRA'S : 1990 GTE 2.0 8v | 1993 1.4 GLS | 1994 1.6 Cesaro | 1995 1.8 16v Sport

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats not good Chris!! Perhaps a good time to replace with some uprated brakes and suspension?!
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yep, I already have some lowering springs to fit.

Front brakes should be ok for a while yet, although I do fancy some 308mm discs and calipers - but they will have to wait.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got my brakes to do this year before the MOT, will be looking to go for better discs and pads when i do them...aswell as a bilstein/eibach susp' setup!
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How old is the car? My wifes car had probs with corroded brake pipes on a 98 S plate!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    It is a 1995.

i know they are a problem on Vauxhalls and I normally get underneath and clean them up with a wire brush and paint them with engine oil. I have not had chance to do it on this car though.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats a bit of a long list! I thought my mark 3 failing on offside f & r brake pipes corroded, sticky callipers, excessive play in nearside wheel bearing and a high headlight was bad! Though it cost me just shy under a ton to fix! Now passed!

I say anything you can do yourself, do it! Saves muchos £££! Thats what i did on my one!
    Bass, the final frontier