Thread: Viper 2 - A Review

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up Viper 2 - A Review

Upon deciding to get a remap for my 2000 1.8 Astra Sport, I researched local companies (Notts). I knew I wanted a map which read the information about my specific car and engine, and removed the flat spots, increased fuel economy, and above all made the car more comfortable to drive.

I knew the more well known companies provided a chipping service and rolling road service, but I did not have the £300 ish to pay for it.

Then I came across www.chippeduk.com.

One of the Viper2 facilities which has started up, is just outside of Leicster. The company is called ChippedUp. After searching for Viper2 on the internet to get some feedback, I soon found that the BMW and Audi sites had lots of good reviews, but a few other sites had bad reviews (such as PassionFord). However, I decided that I wanted to pay £200 for a remap and not £300 for a chip.

The website (www.chippedup.co.uk) details the three services available. First is the chip replacement specific to your car model as offered by other well known tuning companies. The second is a remap, done via the OBD (vehicle diagnostic) port. The remap is reversible at any time, and is again specific to your car model. The third service is live mapping again done via the OBD port. This is done whilst the car is being driven, and offers much more customisation.

I opted for the second service - the remap. After a few emails, Elaine had arrested my worries, and I booked a remap session. She offered to come out to my house for an additional £50, but it was cheaper for me to drive there. The place was very easy to find (on the A5 towards milton keynes). The mapping took about an hour, and I had a nice cuppa, a sofa and TV!

Afterwards, Elaine showed me the map of the car, and where the flat spots were that she removed. She explained to me how it worked, and I was impressed with the knowledge required to do it. I had to allow the car to get used to the sensors again on the engine, so it was under 4k revs for 20 miles.

Even keeping it under 4k - I noticed a difference instantly. The throttle response was up, and the car just slipped through the gears. The only way I can really describe it is that it just felt 'natural' - like the car should have driven that way from the start. Unlike the other modifications I had done (exhaust, intake modifications) there was no 'big change' that I noticed, and at first I was a little disappointed. I think I was expecting fireworks!

However, after the 20 miles, third, fourth and fifth gear were totally different to normal. The car wasn't jerky, and it didnt stop pulling. It was like a train in every gear. My funny idle problem has stopped, and the car just purrs through the gears. I had the map done on Thursday, and since then I have navigated 500 miles of motorway. I have to admit that the fuel consumption wasnt noticeably down, but considering the power increase and the fact I had been driving it harder than usual (it is a little addictive afterwards ) it used the same amount of petrol as normal.

I have had no undue side effects, just a lovely smooth car, and a beautiful motorway cruiser. I am very happy with the service, communication and price of the company - Elaine really went out of her way to work around me. I would totally recommend it to a friend, and if I decide to really heavily modify the engine, I will be going back there for a live map to make the most of it. If anyone has any questions please ask, but I thought that I would share my experience of the company with you.

For those who are too far from Courtenays or Regals, or on a budget, I can honestly say I expected no more from my remap. Very happy and 100% worth it. Regarding power, I shall have to wait for a RR day to confirm increases but I am expecting between 8-12 bhp increase and a 7-10lb/ft torque increase.

(edited for paragraphs)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats sounds really good. i have heard about this company but as yet have not heard any reviews. im doubtful of the power gains to be had on my car (1.6) lol but may be worth a try with conjunction with my other mods, airbox,exhaust etc. just one thing... is there a centre in the south lol!!!
    Astra VXR in Star Silver - Officially the 2nd Rarest Colour

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think there may be - try www.chippeduk.com I think there may be other places you can get it done? To be hones Mark, I was more impressed with the driveability of the car than the power increase. Its not one of the things you notice, until its improved! Really made a difference to the whole car.

Status
    It only takes a minute
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds a good place... might have to speak to them later in the year to see what they can do for my 1.8
    Astra Mk4 GSi in Ardon BLUE
    "HAS IT GOT BOOST"

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also, Elaine mentioned a possibility of a group discount if more drivers wanted to do it at the same time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent if it is better for the drivablilty and throttle response im all for it. without wanting to be slated by the as insurance poilice is this readily detetable to insurance inspectors. i pay loads anyway and my ins wouldnt take kindly to this. i always thought that remaps were ok re insurance.

waits for sound of sirens!!

Astra VXR in Star Silver - Officially the 2nd Rarest Colour

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds really good mate, thanks for the review,

what engine did you say yours was again, a X18 XE1??? how much was the live re map???

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    might have to give that ago!
    Star Silver Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My engine is the Z18XE and the normal remap was £200. If you email Elaine, she can give you an exact quote! She is very helpful.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSport16v
    If you email Elaine, she can give you an exact quote! She is very helpful.
    ive just e-mailed enquieres@chip.....

has Elaine got a different email address?
    Star Silver Astra Coupe Turbo

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast