Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I need to flush my engine out

I need a good engine flush to clean my engine out,

can anyone recommend a good tin for the job? I have a fair bit of cream in my 2.2 engine and they say it's from the condensation because I am only doing short trips.
    I gave the car a nice 50 miles run the other day but the next day it was still shown on the dip stick . I am not losing any water and my water is fine.

I am going to give it a good oil change on the weekend and a good engine flush. Also what is a good oil for the 2.2 engine? Cheers

Thanks

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use Wynn's (i think thats what it is?) It's in a purple can.

Warm the car up and then pop that in, run it for 15 mins, drop the oil out and take filter off, empty as much oil from it as you can, pop it back on, hand tight and put the sump plug back in hand tight, bung a couple of litres of cheap but new fully sythetic oil in, and run that around the engine for a few mins, drop that out, replace the filter for a new one and tighten sump plug up (dont forget to fit a new wsaher) put the new oil in (I use Silkolene 5w40 from opie oils) and leave it too settle, keep going till you reach the max mark. Go for a gentle drive to warm th enew oil and circulate it. park on flat ground again and let it cool down and settle. check oil and top up as needed.

Check your breather pipes Mark, as the 'cream' may have blocked the pipes and thats why its all the way down in the sump.

try and clean as much of the cream out of all the pipes too as it will just contaminate your new oil if you dont

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above, but it's worth taking the cam cover off and scooping all the creamy goo out from there as well, before you stick the flush in.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that info . I will defo be doing this on the weekend as it's peeing me off now. Ffoeg I don't like the sound of taking the cam cover off mate as it sounds a mission. I may over tighten the bolts or something replacing it, also whats would have to be removed to do this. I have never worked on a 2.2 before. Thanks

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's pretty straight forward, an much like any other engine - engine cover off, coil pack off, and then remove all the bolts round the cam cover (there are a couple of breather pipe to remove as well IIRC) , and then just lift it off.

You might find a load of crud in there you might not, but oil splash from just the normal running of the engine isn't usually enough to remove it, as it's pretty sticky stuff.

You'll need to slap on a new gasket be replacing it, and torque down the retaining bolts to 8nm (so it's not that tight).

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you have a torque wrench mark?

Taken the cam cover off looks daunting, but its not

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats one thing I should buy at some time is a torque wrench, I have never owned one lol. I will just have to change the oil as above but without taking off the cam cover. I am just going outside to check on the condition of the oil today. Cheers

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks M40COO . I have just checked the oil today and it's not that bad, none on my filler cap and just traces on the dip stick. I also may have too much oil in my engine from the last oil change I did about 3 weeks ago. I am going to drain some of it out now. I did not even use a full tub from last time, I still had a little left.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

flushing oil

Hi there, new user so hope you don't mind me joining in, with ref to the engine flush i recommend using flushing oil to do a proper job, have used the additives at work and find they don't flush out anywhere near as good as a proper flushing oil, get the car stinking hot, drain oil, fill with flushing oil and run for 30 mins, drain and fit new oil filter, as for oil i use vauxhalls own fully synth 5-30, good stuff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast