Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Drifting at speed... Help?!

Hi there
    Not sure if this is a problem with me car or my driving to be honest. on a little jaunt across the M4 last night at about 80-90mph if im honest and the car tends to drift, or even suddenly pull, usually to the left. Naturally i backed well off the throttle! I cant say as i notice it at lower speeds but definitely at those speeds. Ive got two tyres (front drivers, rear passengers) that are on the limit could this have an impact?? Any advice or ideas are much appreciated!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, its a late 2001 Astra 1.8 SRi

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyts1985
    Hi there
    Not sure if this is a problem with me car or my driving to be honest. on a little jaunt across the M4 last night at about 80-90mph if im honest and the car tends to drift, or even suddenly pull, usually to the left. Naturally i backed well off the throttle! I cant say as i notice it at lower speeds but definitely at those speeds. Ive got two tyres (front drivers, rear passengers) that are on the limit could this have an impact?? Any advice or ideas are much appreciated!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, its a late 2001 Astra 1.8 SRi
    bad tyres would have an effect ( more on a wet/slippy road )..
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    was it windy?

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would defo say that the tyres + the wind contributed to this.

Get the tyres replaced (get the new tyres put on the back and make wure you get the same brand and tread pattern)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It also depends on the lane you were in at the time. Being an HGV driver I know that the 2 inside lanes tend to get worn by the heavy rear wheels of HGVs. You can feel the front wheels on my HGV running on the rim of the double track that tandem axled trailers leave. This is starting to dissapear though as most new trailers use super single rear wheels now. However in a car one wheel will be in a dip (due to smaller wheel axle spacing) but the other will be travelling on the lip of the other depression. Sometimes the wheel on the lip will be pulled into the dip, this causes the other to get pulled up the depression on the other side and the car feels like it's drifting or veering. It's a nasty feeling, only solution is to know the dips are there, easy to spot in the rain BTW as they collect water, travel slightly to one side so both wheels are out of the dips.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    MOT in April so tyres will have to be replaced, and yes it was quite a windy night but being as the car is fairly low i didnt realise itd have such an adverse effect. Good point on the road surface by the way that didnt even occur to me! Many thanks all. Just glad no one seems to think its anything mechanical/expensive (not that tyres are cheap on this thing though)