Thread: Possibly the end of the line for my car

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Possibly the end of the line for my car

Unfortunately, my Mk3 decided to modify it's big end on the way to our regional meet on Sunday. I didn't notice anything wrong on the way there until I slowed down going into Exeter and heard a horrible clapping/tapping noise. (Having the radio on probably didn't help, lol, - it was a nice day!!). Never saw the oil pressure light or notice any loss of performance etc. Fellow SW RO (Shane_SRi) met me with loads of oil (having found zilch on the dipstick), but it did little to help. I'd checked it during the week, but obviously, it had disappeared, somewhere, quickly!

Got it back thanks to Dad but now I'm left with a useless car, that probably nobody wants. For most, the need for an engine change would be an ideal opportunity to drop an XE or something relatively higher powered in, but insurance still dictates my decisions despite having 3 yrs ncb and I need to save as much as possible from now in preparation for a year away at uni in sept. I had done everything I'd planned to do to it by the summer, just lower it, 16's, phase 2 bits and lots of cleaning!

[Photo Plug]
    It looked like this to all those who hadn't seen it before:

TBH I'd lost all interest in the car at the end of last year, having had a bump on the rear quarter, needing a new headgasket and then a Cat for the MOT - it had pretty much emptied my student money bank and had left little to show on a car which is worth not very much anyway.

Now I don't know whether to cut my losses and scrap what is a reasonably sound car/shell bar the engine, sell it as a non runner for someone to upgrade or go ahead with a replacement engine and either use it myself or sell on. Cesaro's - even though they are decent spec, seem to fetch very little on ebay and I'm not sure I can justify extra expense on a car I have no future plans for.

Any advice or offers would be grateful! I still have the 16's which I'm planning on selling seperately, unless someone would be interested in the whole lot.

cheers,

Mark

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear that mate, would be the perfect chance to get off the road and LET it up but as you say uni....
    Seems a waste of a nice car
    R.I.P - 08.05.06 CLICK My Astra
    BMW M3 Evo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Aw shame, love that car as well. Hope it doesn't die and someone sticks a LET in there - would be lovely.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I hate red cars but that looks lovely, rims look perfect!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That is probably one of the nicest & most stuble mk3 ive seen,

as said the decisions your as uni will eventually lead you to your future career though would be an utter shame to see it go to waste, though it may be cheaper to source and fit a 20seh engine instead of an XE or LET
    Corsa VXR in Glacier White

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Pm me with the price you R looking for the rs2000 rims

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ...any chance of you keeping it stored until funds allow another engine ?

shame to let the car go...looks sweet

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If I was hanging on to my mk3 for much longer I would have taken those alloys off you no problem - they are perfect.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150