Thread: Bring on the Yellow Vultures!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bring on the Yellow Vultures!

Following on from the "pace car" thread I thought I would post to say how great I think the new average speed cameras on the A77 are.

Read more here

My folks have recently bought a caravan down near Stranraer and these cameras cover most of the road down (till Girvan). The A77 has always been a dangerous road but with these cameras in place - what a difference. Nobody fighting to get past each other and everyone just sitting at 60/70mph making steady progress.

I think these are a great idea (much more so than the traditional speed cameras) and I would welcome them on all roads. I'm sure they will prove to be a great success with crashes, injurys and fatalities reduced vastly and it can only mean they will be popping up around the country.

I'm sure lots of people will hate them, but I have no problem with sitting at the speed limit, even more so when everyone else is too - makes for a very relaxed and safe journey.

What do you reckon?
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I recon it's a good enough idea. It's been used in froggy land between toll booths for a long time. If you get between two booths too quickly, then the poice are waiting for you a wee bit up the road.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get rid - i dont want to live in a big brother world - u cant do anything these days
    Drives - Phase 2 Astra Mk3 Gsi = 139.56 BHP with 138.81 Torque

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They have them the way i go to manchester and they're a pain when i'm late for a meeting and the road is empty.
    Vectra SRi 1.9 cdti 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They have these on the Snakepass between manchester and Sheffied and i think they work great. The only annoying thing is, is when your doing the speed limit there is always some to@*er is up my rear end with his lighs on full beem!
    199 BHP 322 lbs/ft Torque from a smokey diesel!!!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as we all know we all speed from time to time but as sten has said these are the better cameras because its the average speed between the cameras that triggers them, no loony can fly past you and the last minute hit the brakes and cause accidents

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    andy stick your rear fog lights on

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They don't bother me at all, but I'm fortunate enough to have cruise control and a B2 to warn me of them (and how many). My opinion might be different if I didn't tho.

When these were first trialed on the Nottingham Ring Road, the Police/council complained that they were a failure as they didn't make enough money to recoup the cost, let alone by more of them. That statement alone shoes that they are more about making money than road safety.

As long as the piccies are subject to human judgement in deciding whether or not to find the driver, then they serve a purpose. But unfortunatley they are totally automatic - if you go even slightly over the trigger speed and a NIP is sent out

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i live in Glasgow and Ayr, i have to use the A77 to get between each, i have to say the road is alot calmer between each since, on the dual carrageway.(which wasn't the most dangerous bit in the first place).
    however, if you follow it down passed Ayr the road becomes single lane and since heavy trucks are only aloud to do 40 on these(iirc) it means everyone else has to aswel!
    this, from my own expierence and from what i have seen can lead to anger, frustration and road rage. i have witnessed two near misses because of this.

alot of people dont "get them" aswell, i oten see people braking for them and then speeding up when they pass them. a good way to get a fine and some points.
    i also feel sorry for tourists, how are they supposed to know what they are and mean??
    they also dont catch bikes.

a good idea, but positioning needs to be thought out carefuly and inform people of what they are and do.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so how much allowence do they give you on these? for instance it is bloody hard to stay at a set speed limit without varie'ng slightly!
    Two type R 15's and 1.21 Jigowatts of power

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast