Thread: Converting manual mirrors into eleccy ones

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Converting manual mirrors into eleccy ones

I've had a pair of coupe eleccy mirrors for a good while now and wasn't able to sell them as the coupe seems to get eleccy mirrors as standard and so no one wants to upgrade. So I decided to try and convert a set of hatch manual mirrors into eleccy ones using the inside of the coupe mirrors with the hatch housings.

I rather stupidly decided that rather than try and remove the mirror and motors I may be able to just change the mirror housing over as the housings appeared identical. Woops bad idea to remove the outside mirror housing you need to unclip a rather large spring washer, there's a proper name for this type of washer but I can't remember what it is. Anyway I managed with great difficultly to remove the washer from the drivers side coupe mirror, seemed best to practice on a mirror housing I didn't need than one I did Underneath the washer is a very large and VERY strong spring. The housing does seperate from the mounting plate however its still connected by the wiring and to get them through you need to remove the mirror, bummer. Good idea which went nowhere except in the bin

Anyway tonight I was mucking about with the coupe mirror and found that the outside housing is seperate from the mirror housing, intrigued as I could now see more of the back of the mirror I decided it was time to bite the bullet and try and remove the mirror. I'd tried previously but each time without success as the mirror seemed to be nearly cracking and I bottled out. I'd bought a spare elec mirror glass just in case I needed it and I studied how it attaches to the motor, seemed easy enough so I thought here goes, it's coming out whatever happens. I got some WD40 and sprayed the 3 small pivot joints the mirror is held on by, this was a great idea and the pivots were now lubricated and they came off without the mirror breaking. It was tricky but it's doable with a little effort and a lot of patience.

Removed the motor and the wiring. Now for the manual mirror, this was more difficult. I first removed the rod which moves the mirror, difficult to be honest but I wasn't interested in ever using it again so off it came. I disconnected the cables first BTW. Studied the mirror and how it attached, it's different than the elec one. The cables were holding it on real tight, so I cut the cables off at the mounting plate end, snipped them right back into the mirror housing and now the glass had more movement. Lot of WD40 again and out she pops. The cables were still attached but it's easy to remove them once the mirrors out. Removed the cable motor housing and then compared the 2 mirror housings to see if they were the same, they were Installed the wires first, then the elec motor, connected the mirror heater wires and after lubing everything up so it moved easily I popped the mirror on. It went on really easily which surprised me. Did the centre mount first and then the 2 others. They just popped on no trouble.

So now I have a nice elec drivers mirror for a hatchback, I've also got a brand new spare elec glass and a S/H spare manual glass.

I was thinking I may do a How-To on the passenger one, you think it may be of interest? All you need are a pair of coupe mirrors or even a smashed hatch pair so long as the glass is intact. I've seen the coupe mirrors go unsold on E-Bay as people now know they don't fit the hatch and so don't buy them.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like a good idea ken, seen the situation pop up before so a couple of people will be able to use it!!!!!!

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate